Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Done issues showing in active sprint backlog

Karri Adkins February 27, 2024

The backlog tab displays the workspace backlog, planned or those sprints being planned, and the active sprint.

This can be confusing to users because the backlog page leads one to believe that all isssues on the page are in fact, backlog.

However, the active sprint detail displays the "done" issues for that sprint, which are not technically, backlog.  It clouds the view of what the backlog actually is when including "done" items.

In our case, it is confusing users, especially when introducing new users to the concept of backlog, and trying to explain "done" issues are not backlog, but the supporting filtering and page naming shows otherwise.

If you have experienced some of the same issues, please vote on the feature request supporting making a change in this area so it is more clear to users.

JSWCLOUD-26416 Rename or rework the Backlog to avoid confusion 

2 comments

Comment

Karri Adkins February 27, 2024

I did finally find a workaround that helps the situation thanks to a co-worker.  You can apply a quick filter that applies only to the backlog, while on the backlog page that will remove the done issues.   Pretty simple, but still annoying when clicking on the page and thinking it is displaying backlog only.  Wouldn't think you would need to apply a quick filter to force a page to display what the page states it contains.

Filter:  Backlog only:  sprint not in openSprints() AND sprint no in futureSprints()

Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2024

I guess it depends on your point of view but, when it comes to the active sprint, I would want to see any Done items in the active sprint section of the backlog. That way I have an accurate view of what has been accomplished in the sprint and it can also help with sprint review as sometimes it's easier to see a longer list of issues in the backlog view than on the active sprint view.

If you're seeing these Done items in future sprints as well or the Backlog section, that would be an indicator that the Done status is not mapped to the right-most column on the board, as Jira only considers work items to be completed in a sprint if they are in a status that is mapped to the right-most column.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events