Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a Scrum Case Study or a mirror?

I am working my way through this Scrum Master Learning Path and was tasked with reading a case study looking at why Intralinks failed at their first attempt at “agility” and how they rebooted to success by Richard Gratton & Dave West.

(Read the case study here)

Image result for first you don't succeed try try again

At first it seemed like any case study ...

"Here’s the rub on Scrum: It is a framework (the “easy to learn” part) that will not deliver on its promise unless it is exercised with its core values (the “hard to do” part)."

Then the case study stepped through each of the five Scrum values with examples of how they were missed in the initial implementation and it was like looking in a mirror. The examples and excuses seemed so familiar ... as did the outcomes. So much so that I started writing this article before I moved on to the next part of the case study.

The authors identified seven principles of Scrum that sit between the framework and values:

• Self-organization
  • Team size and composition
  • Done means done
  • Empowered Product Owners
  • Servant-leader Scrum Masters
  • Team ownership of adaptation
  • Delivery of business value

I know I will be re-reading this case study as I continue on my learning path to be a better Scrum Master and I have some great ideas of what to do and not to do.

Image result for first you don't succeed try try again

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events