cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitation on Issue Sources

Lesley Monro September 14, 2023

HI: 

This is Atlassian's policy:

Advanced Roadmaps can handle up to four issue sources with no problems. The impact of issues sources beyond this depends on their complexity. Alternatively, if you only need a handful of issues from an issue source, consider moving those issues to a different project or using exclusion rules to only pull in the relevant issues.

I need to add about 20 Projects (issue sources).  What type of challenges should I expect?

Totally appreciate your comments.

Lesley

3 comments

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2023

@Lesley Monro I'll be watching this closely.  I don't remember seeing that limit in the documentation and I've not tried to have anywhere near that number of issue sources. I would definitely create a sandbox and give it a go there first.

If it is an issue (choosing sources in the tool) you might try creating a scrum of Scrum's project or just a JQL filter that has all of the projects in it. One "source" so to speak.

Eddie Meardon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2023

Hi @Lesley Monro

The biggest impact you'll see will be in performance, both in your plan's initial load time as well as the responsiveness of your plan once its loaded. The cause has less to do with the issue sources themselves, and more about how Advanced Roadmaps loads issues into your plan. We talk about it more on the Performance recommendations for Advanced Roadmaps page.

With fewer than four issue sources, these problems are relatively minor but beyond that, it depends on the issue sources themselves:

• how many issues are in your plan in total
  • how complex the issue sources are
    • for example, a filter that uses a complicated JQL query is going to be more taxing to load than a single board
      • which actually means that @Danno's recco might actually be slower
  • how much planning information is brought in such as hierarchy levels, sprints, releases, etc

For this reason, we don't have a cap on the number of issue sources in the same way we do with total number of issues. It really just depends on the user and their needs. 

My advice would be to make your plan with your twenty issue sources, then use the steps in the link above to optimize the performance of your plan. These include things like optimizing any JQL queries, removing unnecessary issues from your plan through exclusion rules, things like that. 

Cheers

Eddie

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2023

Thank you @Eddie Meardon for the great clarification. I do expect to be creating a plan with more issues than I have in the past so I'll be paying attention and implementing the recommendations in the linked article.

My intention is to make the plan utilizing Initiatives in a Scrum of Scrums board but will now consider only going as deep as the Epics involved. Each Initiative will be drawing Epics from multiple projects without bringing in the issues from each Epic.

Mohamed Almoaz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2023

Hi @Danno I'm a Product Manager in Atlassian and we are working on new changes to enhance the overall performance of Advanced Roadmaps specially for plans with large number of issues (more than 5K issues).

Would you be interested to have a zoom session so that we can learn more about your experience with Plans and how you are using it for large number of issues?

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2023

@Mohamed Almoaz yes, I would be interested in talking about it. Send me the details.

Mohamed Almoaz
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2023

Thanks @Danno 

this is my email malmoaz@atlassian.com . Please send me an email and will reply back with all the details.

Mohamed Almoaz
Atlassian Team
October 22, 2023

Hi @Lesley Monro  I'm a Product Manager in Atlassian and we are working on new changes to enhance the overall performance of Advanced Roadmaps specially for plans with large number of issues (more than 5K issues).

Would you be interested to have a zoom session so that we can learn more about your experience with Plans and how you are using it for large number of issues?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events