Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone using advance roadmap for strategic portfolio planning? What is hierarchy used?

Marilyn Bond September 2, 2021

Curious if anyone is using Advance Roadmap for early strategic development of portfolio, say 3-5 years out where concepts are just being developed and the focus is on what and why versus how.

2 answers

0 votes
Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2021
  1. Strategic Goals - Vision, Strategic Goal
  2. Type of Budget - Program, Focus area, Fixed budget
  3. Type of Work  - Project, discovery/experiment, Assignment and Line-work
  4. Epic / Feature
  5. Story
  6. Sub-task

In most cases, this provides the flexibility you need for a mix of situations across the organization. Each of the additional levels can be extended with more types as you need it. For example you could have SAFe levels there like ART and Large Solution.

Leon October 12, 2021

are these out-of-box type names? or need to create them myself?

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2021

These are just my setup :)

You need to create them yourself.

0 votes
VINCENT DUPONT September 6, 2021

Hello, 

I'm just starting to test and use it. Currently I plan to create a hierarchy like

• Portfolio
  • Goal 
  • Epic

Vincent

VINCENT DUPONT January 12, 2022

After few months, I come to this :

I created Initiatives on top of Epics.

Initiatives represent a Project (for my portfolio). Each project may be filled of Epics that represent large blocks of functionalities to be done. The link between Initiatives and Epics is done in Advanced Roadmap.
For one project, Epics can come from a Jira project (for example the team's project) or from the Portfolio project itself (directly under the Initiative. 

The Epics are blocks than can be planned in advanced Roadmap.

I do not use any level on top of inititive because the relationship is 1-1. I would rather be able to let one project fall under various baskets for portfolio planning. So I created a custom field using labels instead. So I can sort and group projects.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events