Welcome Wednesday: What's your best tips for newbies!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

I was involved it recording some "how to" videos earlier this week and that gave me an idea for today's post.

I know that not everyone is brand new to Atlassian when they finally get around to joining the community (I know I wasn't).

So my question this week for new and veteran users alike, "What is one thing you wish you knew when you first started using your favorite Atlassian tool?"

If you are brand new to Atlassian, please tell us which tool you are starting to use and one cool thing you really like about your experience so far.

I'll get things started, I really wish that when I first started as an admin, I did a better job of organizing users into proper groups and using "Roles" within projects better than I did.  I was a pain to re-work all of the permissions and I have seen how easy things can be if you set it up correctly from the beginning.

I'd love to hear your tips as well!  Please share in the comments below!

8 comments

Comment

dasawey June 23, 2021

I'm great at putting words together in a coherent way, but when it comes to all of the new technology out there, I'm lost. So, I'm grateful for the wonderful instructional documents available as I begin this monumental task of organizing some sort of cohesive Space for my team.

having a bad day.jpg

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Alex Gallien
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2021

The context menus (gg / .) in Jira usually blow minds. Other shortcuts too, like / to get to quick search or gi to get to advanced search.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

I also LOVE  gg :)

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2021

I also agree with this.  I love anything that let's me be lazy about getting to where I want to go.

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2021

This Community :) I should have dove right into it when I started admin'ing.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2021

I 100% agree with you.  I also regret not having gotten involved sooner.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2021

Understand how boards work, including nuances of sprints and releases. Being a Jira admin isn't just about knowing how to configure a workflow or add a custom field. In many companies, the Jira admins are the tech support for Agile teams, and if a team can't figure out why their sprint report is showing odd data, or their velocity looks wrong, it may be up to you to look at their work and see where they messed up.

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2021

I wish I had started soon with seeking help and guidance from Atlassian Community for troubleshooting & resolving any user issues, when I started as an Atlassian admin.

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2021

I wish I had started soon with seeking help and guidance from Atlassian Community when I started as an Atlassian administrator.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2021

Gosh, @Jimmy Seddon - you got rare talent to pick up topics which are not as simple.... There is hundreds of things I wish I knew 12 years ago. First thing first - that in a year i will have been divorced so there's no point in mortgage. :-D

But trustring you have meant Atlassian ecosystem - I wish i had knew It will take 10 years for Atlassian to understand role of ITSM, and key aspects of ITSM. Then I would have build nice alternative to Jira SD/SM (of course in ecosystem) and earn gazyllions USD. :-P

Like # people like this
Fabricio Carvalho June 29, 2021

A lot of things I wish I knew before starting with jira, but in the first projects I definitely should have dedicated more time the schemas management.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events