Welcome Wednesday: What are you listening to?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to yet another wonderful Wednesday!

I got a Spotify membership for Christmas and I've been a little overwhelmed by the amount of content available.  I'm also one of those people that needs something on in the background while I'm working.  When I was at the office it was to drown out the chatter.  Now at home, I need it because I've grown accustomed to having music on while I'm working.

My question for you this week is what are you listening to?  It doesn't have to be while working and it doesn't have to be music.

Personally, I listen to mostly rock music.  However, I have also discovered the wonderful world of podcasts and one that has been on my radar to listen to recently is Atlassian's very own Teamistry!

Ok now it's your turn share in the comments.

19 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

I listen to Sub.fm all day. It's mostly 140 and 130 bpm stuff.  No lyrics to distract me, so I can really concentrate on what I'm doing. It's a free stream, so you can't beat the price! :)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

Nice!  I can get behind that type of music as well.  I generally try to find stuff without lyrics as well for the same reason!

Eric Browne January 20, 2021

There are a lot of great things on Spotify and I have a montage of music I listen to on there. One thing I really enjoy though, is the language learning audio on there. I am learning Russian on my way to work everyday. 

Definitely worth checking out if Language is your thing or if your looking for a new way to ask for the bathroom on vacation.

Good Luck in 2021.

Cheers,

Eric

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

@Eric Browne I had no idea that was a thing!  I'm going to have to check that out (not that I'm planning to travel anytime soon)!

Like Eric Browne likes this
Alex Gallien
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2021

Def not for most but if you like heavy music here are some of my recent favs

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
T Chambers January 20, 2021

I scrobble pretty much everything I listen to. Most recently podcasts and a Bible plan. Yesterday I did listen to some music. Haha. Soundtrack from Moana. Here you go: last.fm/user/tbc0 

Like # people like this
Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

@T Chambersscrobble?

T Chambers January 20, 2021

@Danno if you have an account at last.fm (freemium), you can enable this thing they call scrobbling. Every audio player you connect your last.fm account to will post the track you're listening to and when you listened. It's like a fire-and-forget microblogging platform: "I'm listening to 'You're Welcome' by Dwayne Johnson from the Disney soundtrack Moana." Here's a screenshot of my scrobbles:

Screenshot 2021-01-20 124505.png

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2021

All the way back to 2007 in the heyday of last.fm - respect!

Like T Chambers likes this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2021

I love podcasts but I can only listen to news podcasts when I'm working.  For music, I typically try to listen to whatever new music has come out in the genre that I like, but I've also created a nice background music playlist on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/39Vr06QbaMpDIxDIIj7CHA?si=U38UJ-nrRI6lVm1F3zlrXw

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

Well while I'm working with this infernal machine, I mostly listen to NPR or our own local community radio station https://kxci.org/ and Spotify playlists otherwise I've been listening to Firesign Theatre.

Like # people like this
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

Thank you for the theme @Jimmy Seddon , I listen rock, 60s, 70s or classical music or local (Czech) songwriters most of the time :)

And I'm using Youtube music, because I had to buy membership on Youtube because of cartoons for my son and Youtube Music is part of my membership plan.

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2021

LoFi and Progressive House are the general genres to drown out the other noises in the house (hello kids!) - with a nice set of full-sized headphones 🎧. A couple favorites for throwing on and not thinking about it:

Definitely something helpful about not having words, especially when you're doing a lot of reading and writing. And if you've got musical experience in your background, these two genres are simple enough to be "something" without being particularly interesting that you want to stop and analyze. Classical music is too engaging to use while working - Sibelius commands attention!

On the podcast side, Teamistry is great of course, but here's another couple recommendations if you've listened to all the available episodes already and liked it:

Like # people like this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 20, 2021

I am a podcast maniac! I love:

Smartless - Will Arnett, Sean Hayes, and Jason Bateman interview some of the most famous and interesting celebrities

This American Life - Classic american storytelling about life here

Ear Hustle - life inside San Quentin and what its like for incarcerated people to re-enter society

The Sporkful - Dan Pashman talks about eating, restaurants, cooking, food culture

Reply All - a podcast about the internet and all the wacky stuff that happens here

Dlisted - a comedy/celebrity gossip podcast 

Heavyweight - a guy solves problems for other people, which is often embarrassing and weird and highly entertaining

Beautiful Anonymous - a one hour anonymous phone call with Chris Gethard who is a great interviewer, and gets some incredible stories from humans. 

And, if you're a drag queen fan, you can't miss Race Chaser with Willam and Alaska!

Like # people like this
Helen Griffiths _Capgemini_ January 21, 2021

Love Ear Hustle! Nigel has a voice I could listen to all day.

Do you listen to any other true crime podcasts? I could recommend a few...(and i'll take any recommendations you have too! 😊)

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

I am not habitual of listening to music daily, but yes I am more interested in listening to daily news about important events.

For this special Wednesday, which marks the inauguration and oath ceremony of the 46th President of US, Joe Biden, I was listening to the live news capturing that event. It was great to listen to all that stuff!

pradeep_nene January 20, 2021

Although I do not listen to music regularly while working, I do like to listen to music while working at times..which is more soothing to ears..be it Western, Indian or any Bollywood numbers.

Peter Domankus January 20, 2021

Its thursday here (Slovakia) already but I also want to add my part.

I like various rock and metal styles so I prefer to listen to that kind of music.

I tried some podcasts, but I was either concentrated to listening to its content and stopped working or concentrated to my work so I missed the content of podcast.

Like # people like this
Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

Well I listen to pretty much everything. From hip-hop, trap, drill, RnB and Pop, through synthwave, electronic music, EDM, IDM, witch house, techno (mostly minimal), sometimes DnB, to metal, deathcore, indie rock and lastly classical music and jazz. 

I just love music and home office gave me a chance to explore a lot of genres, which I am glad for.

Like # people like this
Łukasz Modzelewski _TTPSC_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 21, 2021

Mostly something smooth without lyrics, helping to focus on current tasks, more of a background noise :) 

It's always good to check:
- When it's Wednesday: https://youtu.be/PE8GlPpuLuY 
- Any other day: https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ 

Sometimes out of curiosity, I just check what's playing in some random local radio around the globe (without understanding!), great idea: http://radio.garden/ 

Like # people like this
Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

Wow, what an interesting website, thanks for that!

T Chambers January 21, 2021

Speaking of podcasts. To be clear, I do not try to listen to spoken content when I am working. I save it for my breaks. I get up from my desk and walk outside to stretch my legs and get some fresh air to clear my mind. When I do, I am usually listening to podcasts through my ear buds, being mindful to take them out and speak with neighbors I encounter.

I would like to invite all lovers of the spoken word to join us at thespokenword.slack.com.

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2021

@T Chambers  Would you mind sharing the invite link instead?  I'd love to join!

T Chambers January 21, 2021

Oh, yes, sorry, @Kristin Lyons, it's been a while and I forgot how to invite people. Here's the link: Join The Spoken Word Slack workspace

Like Kristin Lyons likes this
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2021

Currently, I'm listening a lot audio books, mostly the three investigators. 

In music I really like the 80s.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2021

I gave up and I bought myself YouTube premium last month (no more ads, ahhh...). I love piano music and it is great background music for me - no lyrics, which would distract me.

My favorites are:

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2021

I listen to the random playlist, When an unknown song gets into my interest, I end up hearing that song on repeat mode  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events