Throwback Thursday: Where are you from? #TBT

It's Thursday!

giphy

Ok, good folk, this one is going to be a little different. This one is more of a DNA question :) I was born and raised in Iceland. Lived most of my life there. Two of my grandparents have been traced in genealogy all the way back to the settlement of Iceland around 870, then over to Norway. So I do call myself Icelandic. 

What about you - where are you from? Or where are your ancestors from?

Lets make it a great Thursday!
KGM

10 comments

Comment

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2021

I was born and raised in India, and my ancestors were also from India, so I would call myself Asian Indian.

Like # people like this
Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck June 3, 2021

Born and raised on East Coast Iceland, moved to the capital about twenty years ago. Most of my people are Icelandic but I do have Danish and English ancestors as well. And considering that there was an army base in my home town for most of the second world war you never know, there might be some American in there as well :p 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2021

I was born in the US as was my parents and grandparents, but not sure much after that. I have heard our heritage is German on my father's side and Scottish on my mother's side. But not sure have many generations back you have to go for that. 

Like # people like this
Marianne Uribe June 3, 2021

Hi Kristjan,

Thanks for sharing!

My mother’s parents came over on the boat from Ireland (separately at 13 years old) and my father’s parents from Holland. A very tough generation for sure!

Ancestry.com says I’m about 89% Irish.

Thanks again for sharing 😊!

Marianne

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

By where I've lived, I'm very English - born and partly educated along the Mersey, growing up in a home county and now living in the East Midlands.

Genetically, parents, and 3/4 of my grandparents are northerners. 

The 4th grandparent is Scottish and my family name comes from his family (my understanding is that his parents were half of "Brough and McPherson" mentioned in Comrie's Mackintosh house ). 

My great grandparents are known to be 2 Scots, and 6 West-midlanders.  For an added twist, one of those 6 was also Jewish, but I've no data beyond she was born in the West midlands of a Jewish family.

Like # people like this
Marina O.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2021

Hi Kristjan,

Thank for your post. Iceland is one of the places I want to visit asapig (as soon as pandemic is gone).

I am from Rio de Janeiro and, according to 23andMe smile, my ancestry composition is 90% from Portugal and Spain.

Now, I live in Mexico so let's see what happens laugh

Take care!

Like # people like this
Mohammed Mohiuddin June 3, 2021

Hey Folks,

I was born and  raised in southern part of India, Karnataka, Raichur (you can google it to know what an amazing place it is :) ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raichur

My parents and  my ancestors are also from the same place..

Although Currently living in Bangalore for Work, I love my Birthplace..there is no better place on earth like HOME....

Cheers.... :)

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

Thanks ALL for sharing. This is so great to read. 

I love, love, love the "as a pig" abbreviation from @Marina O.  :) Will be great to have you in Iceland soon! 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

Great topic @Kristján Geir Mathiesen!

I was born in Canada, as was my Mom.  Her side of the family were born in Ireland and migrated to Canada.

My Dad was born in Scotland as was his Mom, and his Dad was born in England, but raise in his early years in India (British Navy kid).

Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2021

Great post @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ,

I was born in Argentina and my parents are from South Korea. I lived in Argentina for 15 years and then we moved to Toronto, Canada.

I can speak 3 languages fluently: Spanish, Korean and English 

Saludos

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events