Throwback Thursday: What was the very first album/cassette/CD you ever bought? #TBT

It's Thursday!

giphy

Can't remember what year it was but I was living in Hafnarfjörður, Iceland and I had saved up coins for quite a while in order to purchase a record; my very first record! The record costed 199 krónur and I brought a plastic bag of 1, 5, and 10 krónur coins with me to the little record store Skífan - @Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck  don't know if you remember those stores :) As you can imagine, there were a lot of coins in that bag. The record was an Icelandic "mix" record of various popular songs; both Icelandic and foreign. I think it was even a double album. I still remember that little record shop. This must have been 1981 or so.

bi.jpg

Then in 1988 I purchased my first stereo that also had a CD player and with it, my very first CD. I chose "Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol, that I knew well since it was released almost 4 years earlier. I think "Rattle and hum" by U2 was my second CD I purchased :)

So..... what was your very first album/cassette/CD? 

Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

10 comments

Comment

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck June 24, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen Yes, I remember those stores! Many a trip was taken there to rummage through the bargain bin :p 
There was a lot of music at my house, cassettes, vinyl, and cd - from Pavarotti to Steppenwolf - and I was also given a lot of stuff - my uncle gave me a lot of Dubliners records and my aunts husband gave me all his Kiss records - so it kind of gets muddled up in my head. But I think that the first cassette I bought was Beasty Boys' Licence to Ill. After that it's just a blur of hundreds of cd's and records :p I think the only reason it didn't become thousands was because Napster existed. RIP!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

Thank you @Kristján Geir Mathiesen!  I love having these trips down memory lane.

So, my first "cassette" which was purchased for me as a gift was:

%28AA%29_In_3-D.jpg

The first CD I bought for myself was:

220px-Green_Day_-_Dookie_cover.jpg

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

I purchased a 45 of the Beatles I am the Walrus/Hello Goodbye.

92EBDE4D-D2E8-404E-AEE5-18DDF4926C5A.jpeg

Like # people like this
Daniel DuBravec June 24, 2021

For my 8 track player: Creedence Clearwater Revival

COVER.jpg

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2021

Oh, wow! This is really taking me back. My memory is similar to @Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck - we always had music in our house, so it's difficult for me to remember the first thing I bought myself. I think it was the Wham! Make It Big record (on vinyl) in 1984, followed shortly by the cassette of Chicago 17. CDs are easier to remember, since I got my first CD player in 1990 when I was leaving for college. My first CD was Billy Joel's Storm Front.

Strangely, I don't remember the first digital song I purchased; I had several MP3 players before the iPod came out, but the only way to get music on them was to use special converter software to rip it from CDs. If I had to guess, I'd say the first iTunes downloads were Broadway musical soundtracks.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2021

Mine is a bit more worn and battered, but, see picture.  I can also tell you I bought it on the HMV store on Friar Street in Reading.

Like # people like this
Lauren Allen June 24, 2021

Oh wow, you all have pretty cool first albums.  Mine is way more embarrassing than that.  :D 

I remember going into the record store with money from my Christmas presents and being super excited though.  And I walked out with not 1, but 2 classic Stock, Aitken & Waterman classics!

I followed up a couple of years later with a major New Kids on the Block obsession so clearly my tastes didn't evolve for quite a while.  Rick will always be number 1 though. <3

220px-Rick_Astley_-_Whenever_You_Need_Somebody.png

BananaWow.jpg

Like # people like this
Peter Domankus June 24, 2021

Hello everybody,

Well my first cassettes were Metallica - Kill 'em all and AC/DC - Ballbreaker:

Metallica-KillEmAll.jpgACDC-Ballbreaker.jpg

Like # people like this
Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck June 25, 2021

@Lauren Allen well, just because our first purchase was off piste doesn't mean we never bought anything "embarrassing". :p As an example, since you mentioned NKOTB, I preferred Marky's Funky Bunch to Donnies New Kids ;p Though my "embarrassing obsessions" were always more TV related (Booker, anyone? :p). And Rick is totally cool, and also Aha and Duran Duran. Those are my eighties people :p

Like # people like this
Jay June 28, 2021

First one I ever bought with my own money was a Prodigy CD.  All my music up to that point was tape cassette and had been copied off the radio or from a friends tape.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events