Throwback Thursday: What was the first movie you at the theatre? #TBT

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

It's Thursday!

giphy

Alright good folk, can you remember? I believe the first movie I saw at the movie theatre was Star Wars, back in 1977.

Image result for star wars 1977

My older brothers attended the University of Iceland and it had a huge lecture hall that doubled as a movie theatre in the evenings. They would get student discounts and took me to see Star Wars (episode IV). I was seven 😊

How about you? Can you remember how old you were, where you saw it at, and with whom?

Have a great Thursday!

13 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

WOW - that was a LONG time ago. I don't remember the first one but would have been back in the early 70's. It might have been Gone With The Wind as I remember seeing that in the theater. Not the original showing, of course. ;-)

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Time flies, doesn't it @John Funk hahaha. To be honest, I do not remember much from going. I remember parts of the movie, of course, but hardly anything surrounding the event :) 

But was it the 1939 version of Gone With The Wind that you saw?  That sucker is long!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Yes, it was the original! And something like 3 hours or so. I remember there being an intermission.  :-)

Like # people like this
Omar Mohamed Fathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2023

NICE 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen I don't know for sure.  But the earliest one I can remember seeing was the original "Land before time".

landbeforetime.jpg

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon  yeah it is hard to think that far back :) Unless it was some major experience. This is a good one!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen I should have also pointed out that 1997 was the first time I saw a Star Wars movie in theatres when they re-released them for the 30th anniversary.  My Dad took me to see a Episode IV - New Hope!

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

I don't remember exactly when (better off this way... it's been a long time), but for sure, my first one was The NeverEnding Story.

Neverendingstoryposter.jpg

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Ahh, Limahl and that song! Classic movie as well. I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL5G8w5mVdE

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

To this day, I still don't think I have every watched this movie in it's entirety.

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Now that you mention it @Jimmy Seddon  I don't think I have either. But I have seen most of it few times :)

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

I remember watching it a few times. To me, one of those movies that bring lots of good memories.

Like # people like this
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 18, 2021

Lion King :) The original one of course.

The_Lion_King_poster.jpg

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Excellent movie! 

Like # people like this
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 18, 2021

Yeah, it is :) I gotta watch it again sometime.

Like # people like this
Yee Frost February 18, 2021

Jurassic Park was my first one.

Image result for jurassic park

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

I loved this movie as a child (actually I still do!).  I watched the VHS so many times there was a point where I could quote every single line in the movie word for word.

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2021

Lion King here too. It's strange to consider my kids are into "Frozen" like we were into Lion King at the time. Doesn't seem like that long ago but a whole era of Disney has already come and passed in that span.

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

giphy

ET was the first movie I remember.  I think I even got a little scared.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

This one I watched on Betamax, also multiple time over!

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

I do not remember exactly.  I do remember Dad taking me to see Star Wars: A New Hope and 2001: A Space Odyssey when the Granby Theatre at Cemetary Junction in Reading was running Sci-Fi season (and that was before we saw ET in New York on its first release, I remember queuing around the block for that)

The inexactitude is that I have a feeling my grandparents took me to see a couple of Disney's before that.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Good flicks!

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

As far as I remember, "Jurassic Park" was my first Hollywood movie that I saw in a theater in my hometown in India. I as 9 at that time, and it was a special "Movie Event" organized by our school and was a fun experience watching this amazing movie as a kid with all my school friends and class teachers.

Jurrasic-Park-1.jpg

Like # people like this
Yee Frost February 18, 2021

Jurrasic Park was my first one as well.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

That is an excellent movie with great cast!

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Same as @Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire} ... Lion King. I was about 6 years old and our dad took us to the theatre. It was amazing. I remember it was recorded with Czech subtitles. I probably could not read so fast but I remember the music... it was the best part. I still listen to this soundtrack.
There is also great musical (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewOAsUWQJvo), sorry I had to share :)

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Yes, awesome music in that movie!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 19, 2021

annie.gif

Mine was Annie! Great songs, iconic cast, still holds up today. Does anyone else remember the fireworks spelling out "A-n-n-i-e"? For years I thought those were real and was disappointed every fourth of July when the fireworks didn't spell anything. 

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2021

Awesome movie for sure, @Monique vdB  !

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
February 22, 2021

I'm not sure what movies I saw at the theatre as a child but the first movie I went to with friends without a parent/grandparent/relative was:

undefined

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2021

I don't think I have seen this one, might just have to add it to my list :)

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2021

The Incredible Shrinking Woman (Universal, 1981). One Sheet (27" X | Lot  #26170 | Heritage Auctions

I remember this as the first "scary" movie I ever saw in the theater -- as a young child, I was terrified when the shrinking woman fell down the garbage disposal!! The humor was definitely lost on me... 😆

Like # people like this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2021

815sfDB8mEL._SL1500_.jpg 

As a theatre kid and film enthusiast I gotta say the Princess Bride really hits home, from the first time I watched it in the second grade till now even, I catch something new! That script is MUAH 💕chef's kiss💕

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2021

As you wish.... ;)

Like # people like this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2021

👏🏼yaaaaaassss👏🏼

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2021

Da best! Da very best! I love it ;)

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 24, 2021

@Kyren Wong did you see the table read they did a few months back? It was so amazing. Loved every minute. 

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
February 25, 2021

The first time I saw the movie, I was perhaps a senior in high school? It was a nice movie but at the time I didn't get the hype other than people's nostalgia. Now all this time later I've read the book, and would love to go back and watch it again. Can we host a Community teleparty? 😁

Like # people like this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
February 26, 2021

@Monique vdB OH LORDIE I know what I'm gonna watch after work today yellow-star

Like # people like this
Kyren Wong
Atlassian Team
February 26, 2021

@Daniel Eads 🤩🤩🤩

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2023

One of the best films ever made.  Watched it again a few weeks ago, and it's still superb.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2023

YES! Princess Bride is da best! Totally agree :) Just keeps getting better.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2021

Not sure how I missed this post! Great topic @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !

I can't be 100% sure but, like @John Funk the first I can remember was Gone with the Wind. However, I was so young and the movie (at the time) was so uninteresting to me and my brother I recall us just playing hide-and-seek in the theater. :-)

The first I recall really sitting down and watching would have been Old Yeller. 

"Yes, Mama. But he was my dog. I'll do it."

cry.jpg

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2021

Thanks @Jack Brickey  It's kind of fun to reminiscent, isn't it! I've never seen Old Yeller, might have to try to find it. Thanks for sharing.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events