Throwback Thursday: Do you still own any VHS/Betamax tapes?

It's Thursday!

giphy

As a teenager in Iceland in the 80's, I remember the first video rental places opening up. Usually it was in people's homes. I remember one very well that was close to my home. It was in the small foyer of a terraced house (town home). They had set up a small shelf (where the shoes of guests were suppose to be - yeah we take our shoes off when entering a home in Iceland) and the selection wasn't too great :) They also rented the VCR itself, since very few people had their own.

vhs.jpg

I've moved too many times in the last few years so all I have left is a few homemade tapes (like my friends made a VHS recording for my 20th birthday in 1990 - still have that). I also have a tape of various recordings done when I was an exchange student back in 1987 in AZ.

How about you, do you still own any VHS/Betamax tapes?

Make it a great Thursday!

8 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

I can't quite separate myself from the core of my VHS collection - Every episode of Doctor Who from Pertwee through to McCoy (plus the McGann film and a pile of Hartnell/Troughton stories too) and a complete set of Blake's 7.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

Yep - still have some VHS tapes. Mainly the video of our wedding. I really need to get that moved to an electronic file.   :-)

Thanks for the reminder!!

Like # people like this
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 7, 2021

Don't forget Video 2000! Still got some of those guys around somewhere.

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen , You have very good collections laugh

Like # people like this
Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2021

I miss VHS', the video store late fees, browsing the isles for new releases i've never heard of and getting, typically poor recommendations on what to rent.  Still have all the Star Wars VHS tapes a copy of Space Balls and a random copy of FernGully..

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2021

@Julian Governale  yes, I miss those too. Have you seen the Netflix documentary "The Last Blockbuster"?  It was really cool. Brought back lots of good memories :)

Like # people like this
Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen  I have not yet but its in my queue to watch.  I've heard nothing but good things about it so I will have to check it out sooner than later. 

Like # people like this
Veronique DUFOUR May 11, 2021

I got rid of many when I recently moved to another house but I think I kept the Stephen King's Movies  VHS ones.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events