Looking to increase admin skills now that I'm behind the scenes

Chris Freeman May 14, 2019

Hi everyone. Chris Freeman here, joining what seems to be an awesome group of people. I've worked in Jira/Confluence for years as a user, but now I've been moved over to help implement a system, and they seem to be struggling. Maybe you guys can help me help them?

5 comments

Comment

Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2019

Welcome! I definitely know what it feels like!  Some resources that I have used for getting up to speed:

1. Online courses (Lynda and such)
  2. Books (I have used Rachel Wright's book but I can't comment on others)
  3. Atlassian's documentation (just make sure you look at the right version - Cloud/Server) - https://confluence.atlassian.com/alldoc/atlassian-documentation-32243719.html
  4. Connect with your local user group if there is one - https://aug.atlassian.com/ and the online counterpart if it exists - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Community-Events/ct-p/general-aug
  5. Above all else, make sure you have a sandbox version of Jira and Confluence spun up somewhere so you can play around with it while doing all the other above steps.  The best way that I learned was hands on and getting answers to my questions when I got stuck.

Hope this helps!

Like # people like this
Chris Freeman May 21, 2019

Cool, thanks Wade. I've been having issues getting my own sandbox. So I'm having to play with a cloud trial version online. Not the same for sure, but at least I'm running with it and getting the hands a little muddy.

Book ordered. Thank you Amazon

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2019

@Chris Freeman Hey, Chris! I think I already caught you over on the "what's on my desk" thread, but let me know if you have any other questions. 👩🏻‍💻

Will do Erica

Like Erica Moss likes this
Anthony Wu May 16, 2019

Hi Chris! 

As a new admin there are so many things to consider. 

• Find a good balance of giving your users what they need, and not compromising your instance. Try to limit new, redundant custom fields. Reuse them if you can
  • Be mindful in creating new schemes. If you can share a generic, default scheme, do so. 
  • Use project roles instead of groups
  • Understand the permission helper as much as you can, often times it can answer why a certain user can't execute a function(manage sprints, close a sprint, etc.)
  • If a user is having trouble with a workflow transition, check for validators/conditions
  • Read up on Atlassian's documentation, Rachel Wright's book as stated by Wade above, and the Atlassian forums are a great place to check for questions that have already been asked/answered. 

Hope this helps!

Like # people like this

Yes, Permission Helper is something in play here, since I don't think they are configuring it properly. Too many people have too many access issues.

Antroy Ashton May 16, 2019

Hi everyone .. any special reason for not allowing project export/import from Server to Cloud ?  I did the workaround by exporting the issues to CSV them re-import into a new project.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2019

This is a great thread, lots of amazing tips shared. Welcome to the community @Chris Freeman :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events