How to change admin permissions

Michael Kowal May 27, 2021

I'm currently learning how to use Jira from a udemy course but something is confusing me. 

Some features only appear on company managed projects while others only appear in team managed projects. I want to be able to change the admin permissions for both so they can do similar things, because the learning process is frustrating otherwise

For example, i want to :

1. allow more than 1 person to be responsible for an issue
  2. allow creation of names for an epic
  3. delete team members
  4. add customer filters
  5. 5. allow “choose an existing issue” for adding existing issues to epics in board.
  6. add epic and issue banner in backlog
  7. remove issue from epic
  8. allow creating epics and issues for users in company managed projects

9. Forbid adding issues once a column has reached its max issues

if someone has time to zoom and help me out I'd really appreciate it. 

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

You can't change the administration of the projects.  It's not even a case of changing the way admin works - the things Team-managed do that Company-managed do not, and vice-versa, simply don't exist, they're not just locked down.

However, most of your list is already possible, without having anything to do with admin rights.

2, 4, 5, 7 and 8 are all functions people can do already, if they have create/edit right

I'm not sure what you mean by "issue banner" in point 6, but adding an epic is a standard function. 

On point 1, you can't have mutiple assignees (which is a good thing, they don't work in real life), but you can add fields to indicate other interested parties - a multi-user picker or group-picker are the most common choices.

In point 3, use roles in your permission schemes, project admins can then add and remove team members from there.

9 is a function of the board, depending on the board type

Like # people like this
Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-I think he means having the Epic link show up on the issue lines in the backlog:

Epic Link Picture2.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

Oh, yes, I see. 

That won't happen - Epics are not sprintable items really, they're overarching containers (that Jira represents as issues, so you can use a lot of standard reporting and searches on them), but as they don't have their own estimates and their process is not really handled by a team, it's more "it's done when we've finished all the bits", they don't go into backlogs.

Nic thanks so much for your help! I just spent some time implementing your solutions.

There are a few things that i still haven't figured out:

Your solution to my 1st question: "On point 1, you can't have multiple assignees (which is a good thing, they don't work in real life), but you can add fields to indicate other interested parties - a multi-user picker or group-picker are the most common choices."

How do i do this?

2. How do i create a custom filter so i can filter out specific things in a board? I have no idea where to start

3. How do you remove an issue from an epic-without deleting it? I still can't figure this out

4. I still don't know to to actually prevent anyone from adding issues to a column that is at max. In Kanban, you may not add more than the max, and that's a rule that i want to maintain here-which is odd cuz all the Kanban board does here is change color.

5.Are global permission schemes for all projects-team managed and company managed?

6. ignoramus question, but I'm guessing that there are no team permissions available correct? all you can do is manage others access to the project

7.Theres no such thing as an admin in a team managed project? Such a project lead?

8. Is there a version and epics panel (or a way to add it in) for team managed projects?

9. How do you restore permissions to default?

10 (Abit broad but if you do know a source with the answer that would be great)

i want to know what things (permissions related) i can change for both team managed projects and company managed projects.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your time and help. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

Ok

1. For team-managed projects, the owners can add fields from the project settings.  For company-managed, a Jira admin has to set up a new field and attach it to the projects.

2.  Do you mean on a board (use quick filters) or in general?  (Go to issues -> search)

3. Blank out the epic link on the issue

4. It doesn't stop you, just warns you

5. Global permissions are not project related.  Project permission schemes can be shared by company-managed projects.  Team-managed handle them locally (it's part of the team managed idea!)

6. Correct, but you can use groups to represent teams and permission them if you want.  (However, generally you should actually be thinking "board = team", as that's how a lot of Agile stuff effectively thinks)

7. Team managed projects just grant individual admin rights.  Company managed ones are actually pretty much the same - you're a project admin if you have admin rights, and you can give that to groups, individuals, roles, even project lead

8. Project settings -> Features and enable "Releases".  There's not quite an Epic panel, but the roadmaps function helps with them

9. For Company projects, swap them back to the default permission scheme (assumes you have not amended it).  For team-managed, delete all the permissions you've added back down to just admin and user

10.  Most of them.  But the two project types are very different, it's not worth comparing them directly.

1. I have no idea how to do this for either type of team. 

2. I want to filter on the board.  I tried filtering the issues in "issues" but it doesnt do anything when i return back to the board. 

9. how do i swap them back? i don't see a button that lets me do this

a few new things

im guessing that i can't add the board view to to team managed projects? Or is there a permission that lets me do that? 

board pic.png

1. how to revert back to the default of filters
  2. how to access the list of filters
  3. add these filters to the board screen
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events