Following

Carol Jones January 2, 2019

Is there a way to follow a person within the Atlassian Community (similar to how you can in Confluence)?  I know I can join groups and discussions around specific topics, but there are a few folks that I'd love to follow to ensure I don't miss one of their posts.

4 comments

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2019

Hi Carol, good question and one I have not considered before. Let me research this and get back to you. If it isn’t currently possible, and I don’t think it is, I will raise it as a suggestion.

Like # people like this

Thanks!!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2019

so it isn't possible today. It used to be w/ the predecessor to Community (Atlassian Answers). I have added a Trello card for our advisory board to discuss in an upcoming session. 

Like # people like this

Thanks @Jack Brickey!

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2019

What a great idea - already thought about this! Going to watch this topic - hope @Jack Brickey will find a solution.

Like Carol Jones likes this
Kevan Lin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2019

Hi @Carol Jones 👋🏼First off, thanks for your active contribution to the community and all the value you're adding. 

We currently don't have that ability to follow a particular person's posts. You can view a person's posts via their profile and sort through a few different methods. 

Curious, in a world where you could follow people, how do you imagine knowing about new posts? Where would you go in the community to find the latest posts by the people you're following? 

How would you imagine finding people to follow? 

Thanks for the idea/suggestion - keep them coming!

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2019

Happy New Year @Test User KL! Not that you asked me but here is my $0.02 worth...

• the ability to click on the members name (there today) and click a follow/unfollow button
  • the ability to elect to receive an email for every post by user (yikes) or receive a daily or weekly summary email
  • the ability to view another users post by clicking the user name and viewing their profile (there today)
  • as far as finding I would think 'stumble upon' would meet most users needs, however, maybe the ability to search for user based upon badges, likes, accepted answers, articles etc.
Like # people like this
Kevan Lin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2019

I always value your contribution too @Jack Brickey!

This goes without saying, but anyone reading this thread, please feel free to add your thoughts too

as far as finding I would think 'stumble upon' would meet most users needs, however, maybe the ability to search for user based upon badges, likes, accepted answers, articles etc.

Can you clarify the criteria for these types of user searches? Can you provide an example of a sample search?

Thanks @Jack Brickey, I think you articulated my thoughts perfectly!

@Test User KL - For your question around Jack's forth bullet, I think it would be extremely valuable to users when following someone if the areas in the below image were links to where those numbers were generated from (what likes were received, what had been liked, what questions had been asked, what answers has been provided, etc.).
Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 11.46.17 AM.png

To add one additional area:

• provide a list of users you're currently following and an activity board of their activity, similar to the single user activity feed, but for the users you've elected to follow
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2019

searching on a user would certainly be something new/unique so i'm sort of brainstorming here...

I would say that it would be nice to perform a member search based upon profile data. So if I use that concept here are some possibilities:

• # posts (by collection or group of collections)
  • # accepted answers (by collection or group of collections)
  • lozenge by name: ATLASSIAN TEAM, COMMUNITY CHAMPION, PARTNER
  • member of group
  • industry
  • company

The idea would be that you could build up a set of filters, click search and have it return a list of members that meet all criteria. Similar to what you find in Atlassian Support when searching (below). You would access by "Explore > Members" and then have various filter headers w/ drop downs ideally. Note - we have discussed this interface as a general improvement to searching in the Community as a whole.

filter.jpg

If we had a love button, I would use it right now!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2019

LOL! save the love until it is implemented. ;-)

love-idea.png

🤣 Then I'll love the help with the idea! ❤️

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2019

Hi  @Test User KL,

Jack and Carol already had a lot of great points.

For member search, I would like to be able to search for the name also.

Deleted user January 2, 2019

Ironically, I’m following this post in the hope to follow key people. 

Carol Jones January 3, 2019

🤣

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events