Welcome Wednesday: Meeting your heroes or the people you look up to?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

Tomorrow and for the next four days, I will be attending Fan Expo in Toronto, Canada. I will be there in part to help run the Extra Life Toronto Guild booth, where we will be sharing information about Extra Life. But, I will also be participating in Fan Expo as an attendee.

There are going to be a number of celebrities from Movies, TV, Video Games and Sci-Fi/Fantasy books that I'm really looking forward to being able to see on various panels. One of which is one of my favorite voice actors Nolan North. I have heard, that you should never meet the people that you admire or look up to for the fear that they don't live up to your expectations.

MV5BOTU4MmQyMzAtNzE4YS00NjEyLWFlM2MtOTg3NTdkNmE5ODNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU1MzM3MzU@._V1_UY1200_CR18,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg2763938-nathandrake.jpg

My question for you this week, have you ever met someone you looked up to? and did this change your opinion of them positively or negatively? And if not, who is someone that you do look up to and are you hoping to meet them in person some day?

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

I hope you all have an amazing rest of the week!

4 comments

Comment

nazim ali August 24, 2022

Hero will meet hero....

“There is nothing more rewarding, than giving an injured veteran an evening of badassery with someone they admire.”

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

Great Quote @nazim ali!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

Bringing this one back to Ontario for you @Jimmy Seddon.

As a youth I looked up to and followed Mike Gartner quite closely.

Although there were a few times that I got close to meeting him in the late 80's and early to mid 1990's, we never met in person. Based on articles and bios that I have read about Mike, I don't think I would have been disappointed though. He was a model of consistency and leadership throughout his career, a religious man and a family man - all things that I value. While I never was able to emulate his hockey success, I try to emulate those other character traits each day.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

I love it @Andy Gladstone!  I think what you have described is exactly the type of person you should look up to.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

Great topic @Jimmy Seddon

I once met Bonnie Wright who plays Ginny Weasley in the Harry Potter series. By now, most of you who know me know I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan! She came to Phoenix Comicon back in 2017 and I was so excited to meet her that I dressed up in costume for the picture. She did a panel and of course, everyone asked questions about Harry Potter, but all she wanted to talk about was a new project she was working on. Unfortunately, no one wanted to hear about that and I think a lot of people were disappointed; me included! She also wore sweatpants to take pictures with a bunch of fans - who does that?

Bonnie.jpg

On a lighter side, I also got a picture a few years earlier with Karl Urban and he made my heart flutter! 

Karl.jpg

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck August 24, 2022

I think people who say that you shouldn't meet your idols because they'll disappoint you are the kind of people who don't realise that famous people are just people like anyone else, with flaws and frailty, bad days and good days and all the pros and cons of fame. And like all people they react differently to the same kinds of situations. 

Many of my biggest idols have sadly passed, such as David Bowie, Rik Mayall and Terry Jones but of the ones who are alive I think I would most like to meet Aurelio Voltaire and Doug Jones. They are both fantastic artists and just amazing sweet dudes. 

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events