Welcome Wednesday: Interesting/Unique Snack Food Flavors

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

via GIPHY

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

I was out shopping on the weekend and I saw "Limited Time Only" - "Taco" flavored Doritos.
Yes, I bought a bag because I was curious.  Overall they weren't all that bad, but I don't think I would buy them again.

However, this gave we a great topic idea for this post.

What I would really like to know this week is: What is the most interesting/unique Chip/Crisp flavor to have encountered or tried?

I'm interested in hearing both the good and the bad.

The most unique one, and I really wish I could find it again because I thought it was amazing was "Parmesan and Basil". It was a local grocery store brand of chips (President's Choice) and it was discontinued many years ago but it was one of those flavors I really enjoyed.

Now if you want to talk bad flavors. Lay's brand chips in Canada, has done a number of contests where people send in flavor ideas.  They make small batches and people vote on the ones they like.

The worst of those I experienced was called "Maple Moose" which was Maple Syrup and Smokey BBQ. In my opinion, not two flavors I would put together.

lays-maple-moose-chips-1.jpg

I would love to hear the interesting flavors you have discovered in the comments!

Have a great rest of the week!

via GIPHY

9 comments

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

I’ve certainly tried some unique ones over the years but to be honest the ones were the oddest I seem to have forgotten. 😉

However, I’m a fan of Utz brand. They always have some unique flavors. One in particular that I haven’t seen in a while but really like were their Crab chips. They have old bay seasoning on them and I am a big fan of that seasoning for my seafood boils.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

During my lifetime, the UK has been through a couple of periods where crisp (chips in American English) manufacturers try out all sorts of strange flavours.

You can always find salt and vinegar, cheese and onion, prawn cocktail (which I think is an odd flavour in itself), barbeque styles, smoky bacon, and other obvious attempts at flavours of other dishes (steak and ale, cheese and pickle, ham and mustard for example) but some of the crisps I've tried during these phases were, well, odd.

They included, but are not limited to:

• Cajun Squirrel
  • Hedgehog
  • Chilli and chocolate
  • Balti
  • Fish and Chips 
  • Tomato ketchup
  • Chicken Tikka Massala
  • Builder's breakfast
  • Onion Bhaji

We still find the odd new one popping up in the shops, but none of them seem to catch on, only the tomato ketchup one on that list seems to have got anywhere in the top-ten crisp flavours here, and there's no chance of it ever unseating "ready salted"

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

Oh my….Cajun Squirrel. I expect that is a staple in Louisiana. 😜

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

By the way, most of the crisp "innovation" here in the UK is done by "Walkers", by far our most popular crisp maker.  They're from just up the road for me, founded in Leicester shortly after WW2, but they were bought by Frito-lay while I was at school, and branded Lays in the US (hence the remarkably similar range and branding, and they do seem to taste the same to me)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

I did try the squirrel flavour on the cat, in the hope she might stop bringing back the real item.  I don't think she liked the "cajun", sadly.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

You just need a Cajun cat.

4C149BBF-9A9C-4B7C-AA11-081C34DA3CFD.jpeg

Like Huwen Arnone likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- this is exactly what I was looking to see!  I am curious about the Cajun Squirrel, though I don't think I'm brave enough to try it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

It was a bit like a more chilli, less sweet and less smoky barbeque flavour.  I can't speak for how squirrelly it might have been, I don't remember ever trying squirrel, despite all the "lovely bit of squirrel" jokes in "Friday night dinner"

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

Well, here's one for you - Roasted Cumin Lamb Skewer flavored Lay's. I have not had those though. 

Lays.png

One of my favorites that I HAVE tried though is Fried Pickles with Ranch.

Lays2.jpg

Lay's seems to have cornered the market on wild flavors. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

I would be willing to try both of those, I suspect the Fried Pickles with Ranch is one I would absolutely enjoy!

Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 25, 2021

I'm very curious about these weird flavors, but the latest I've tried has been a package of Pringles, kebab flavored.

priongles-kebab.jpg

Also, I often attend this Chinese market where they have these Lays cucumber flavored; I haven't tried it yet, maybe someday.

lays-cucumber-chinese.jpg

What I do get are these spicy nori chips with sesame... those are addictive and delicious.

71fOoCId7gL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

Very interesting @Huwen Arnone!

Kebab Pringles sound good!  I can't imagine Cucumber flavored chips would actually have that much flavor?

Like Huwen Arnone likes this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 25, 2021

And that, my friend, is precisely why I'm never completely convinced about buying those chips, @Jimmy Seddon. 😂 I guess one of these days, I will surrender and buy them.

The Pringles are everything you can expect from it.

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck August 25, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon  Wow, I can't even imagine what Maple Moose would taste like since I find Lay's to be fairly disappointing generally. My go to brand is Maarud and though they are not technically crisps/chips I will usually go for Ostepop. Those things are addictive!

Ostepop-store.png

As for strange flavours I some times buy random things in Asian shops and though I don't remember any specific brands the two most interesting that come to mind are caramel coated crisps and chocolate covered dried fish strips. The caramel ones I'd buy again in a heartbeat (potatoes in caramel are a favourite festive side dish up here) but I'd probably pass on the chocolate fish. :p

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

I have never tried caramel chips, but I want to now.  I'll have to see if I can find any.

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck August 25, 2021

:D 

If you can't find any caramel chips you can do the next best thing and find yourself a recipe for Icelandic "brúnaðar kartöflur" :p 

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

I have tried a lot of different flavors but still I still like and prefer the basic flavors of Lay's like "Classic", "Tomato", "Sour Cream & Onion", "Barbecue".

One of the odd one for me in Lay's was 'Limon' since I found it too sour for my taste buds.

Few days ago, I also tried the "Thai Curry" flavor in a different chips brand called "Wai Lana Chips", but I did not like them since the flavor was not even close or was very light.

WaiLanaTCCassavaLG.jpg

Ines Fernandez Sanchez August 25, 2021

In Australia we have Chicken & thyme, bbq ribs, chicken....

592036.jpg299081.jpgbbq.jpg

Like # people like this
Lauren Allen August 25, 2021

I love this topic!  Every time I see a new flavour in the store I have to test it out.  It's my duty as a tester right? :D We've definitely had some odd ones in Australia for sure.  Lots of delicious ones too though.  Most of these are limited edition, a few are permanently available.

• Lamington (these were super weird.  Chocolate, & coconut flavour mostly with a bit of cake for good measure)
  • Mac & Cheese (macaroni & cheese)
  • Spag Bol (spaghetti bolognese)
  • Snag & Sauce (sausage & tomato sauce)
  • Sausage Sizzle (sausage in bread with onions and tomato sauce)
  • Tomato Soup (have to buy these every time they get re-released!)
  • Garlic Bread
  • Margherita (pizza not drink)
  • BBQ Meatlovers 
  • Loaded Baked Potato (yep, potato flavoured potato chips :D)
  • Chicken Nugget
  • Ultimate Apple Pie
  • Mash & Gravy (yep another potato flavoured potato chip)
  • Steak & Onion
  • Pie & Sauce (Aussie meat pie with tomato sauce)
  • Prosecco and pink peppercorn (this is the gourmet stuff)
  • Camembert & Fig (so is this)
  • Wagyu Beef & Champagne vinaigrette (and this) 
  • Moroccan spiced chicken & lemon 
  • Hunter Valley Roast Chicken, Lemon & Thyme
  • Roast Lamb & Mint (delicious)
  • Mountain Dew flavoured Doritos (nope)
Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2021

Sweet topic @Jimmy Seddon  I see that I need to be more adventures in my snack choosing...

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events