Welcome Wednesday: How do you beat the heat?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

I'm especially excited today because I will be getting my second vaccine shot today!

In my part of the world we are in the middle of a heat wave. This has prompted us to get out our 2 foot deep pool. Our 3 year old has really enjoyed splashing around for hours at a time and it allows us to enjoy being outside.

IMG_2962.JPEGIMG_2967.JPEG

My question to all of you this week is: "How do you beat the heat?"
Do you sit in front of the air conditioner and read a book? Or, maybe you live next to the ocean and are in the water all day. Perhaps you enjoy a cold beverage or snack?

I'd love to for you all to share in the comments!

Have a great rest of the week everyone!

11 comments

Comment

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

Very timely topic, @Jimmy Seddon  When we owned an RV (or should I say, when the bank was leaving the keys to an RV in our home) we purchased a small, portable AC like this:

portableac.jpg

It has rechargeable battery (USB) and you can put ice in the water tray to get even colder air. I like it a lot have have it next to my desk. Turn up the thermostat a little bit during the day and run this instead, since I am the only one home during the day. Works quite well!

Then I try to go to the HOA pool often.

KGM

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

Our basement is naturally cooler than the rest of the house, which is why I made it my office for the past year and a half :D

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

Yes! Good thinking. 

alkarim.jivraj July 7, 2021

To beat the heat, I usually have hot tea. Sounds a little odd but it works. It forces your body to cool down by adjusting the inner temp. Works for me!!!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

Interesting @alkarim.jivraj!  I may have to try that some time.

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

Hi @Jimmy Seddon my way of beating the heat is to sit in front my laptop and do office and personal works. On the weekend, I hit the city beach with family and enjoy cool breeze with a snack or cool drink.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

@G subramanyam I wish we were closer to the beach than we are.  In any direction it's at least 1+ hour drive.

Like G subramanyam likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

cold beer.jpg 

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

@John Funk all of a sudden I'm thirsty and I'm not sure why ;)

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

haha - me, too  :-)

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2021

Hmm @Jimmy Seddon and @John Funk 's responses are about to get really really good 🍿

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

First, I wish you all the best for your second vaccine shot! You will need some rest in the evening!

To beat the heat, I normally go to the pool with my kids when I get free in the evening (though I don't know swimming). Sometimes, I take my family out to have nice ice creams.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

Don't need to yet this year, this "summer" in the UK seems somewhat more chilled than usual.

But if it does get hot, we've got fans, a 'fridge with an ice tray (and ice packs for a nice little cooling fan which is enough to take the edge off on all but the hottest of days), I often drink more (tea, seems to make me feel cooler, can't explain that, or simple chilled water), open the windows for some early air-con (sash windows are designed to draw cooler air into a room as hotter air escapes - some automatic airflow if nothing else)  or just go hide at the "back" of the house.  The back butts up against a massive heatsink (an 18th century chapel built on ironstone blocks), and it's always cool at the back of the house, and equally warm in winter.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

We like to go to the lake.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2021

Moving from a cold place to a warm place, some of the same strategies still work!

1. Replace the terrible single-pane window with proper Low-E, high reflectivity fittings.
  2. Seal up the door cracks.
  3. Crank the (reverse) heat pump.
  4. Stay indoors, only venture out when properly outfitted
  5. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated
  6. Wait for summer winter to arrive
  7. Answer lots of questions on Community to take your mind off the weather 😜
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

@Daniel Eads I should do more of #7!

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck July 8, 2021

Not many occasions here that can be considered a heat wave but anything over 20°c and I'm dead :p (photosensitive and ginger doesn't help XD) So I basically try to stay inside if I can help it. Otherwise it's lots of ice cream (the tea thing wouldn't work cause I can never drink it until it's cold anyway!) and swimming (swimming pool in every town). The ocean is not really an option, even though it's pretty much everywhere (island :p) because it's usually rocky and cold, if not outright dangerous. 

But right now it's about 12°c and overcast so probably just about right for shorts and a T :p

Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 12, 2021

Interesting post....
Every day at around 6:30 pm I and my daughter go to the terrace and for the first half-hour, we take turns to splash water on each other as if it was a game. 

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 12, 2021

Hi @Tamanna Godara now I found the secret of your steps and marching towards a  million walking steps :)

Isha July 13, 2021

When I was a kid I used to cool down by playing in the sprinklers and going to the pool. I have a very high tolerance for heat but when it gets unbearable I tend to take multiple showers during the day.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2021

Based on the water conservation rules here I know friends who have told their kids to go play in the sprinkler so they are "allowed" to water the front lawn ;)

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
July 14, 2021

Also know someone who takes a lawn chair and marshmallows out while burning leaves. "It's a campfire" 🪵🔥

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events