Jira and Service Now Integration

John P Sanchez Sr April 18, 2022

Hi group

I have new request for my community and I seek advice,  

We are looking to explore JIRA and Service Now integration,  Does anyone have experience or advice on how to proceed? 

Thank you in advance.

John Sanchez

6 comments

Comment

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2022

Hi @John P Sanchez Sr

I'm sorry I read that wrong.  Please ignore my previous reply.

Have you reviewed the Jira Spoke in ServiceNow?
ServiceNow Jira Spoke  

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2022

I've integrated SNOW and Jira in two separate fashions at my last client.

1st integration for Service Requests setup as custom Sub-Tasks in Jira -- all in house we custom wrote the groovy in Jira setup a mid-server wrote the java script and setup the modules in SNOW.

2nd integration against the SNOW Agile PPM 2.0 - installed the Jira Spoke, setup the linkage in SNOW and imported the Jira projects in -- Epics Stories Tasks Boards.  This comes with two-way communication and can be customized further to support more issue types, custom fields etc.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2022

@John P Sanchez Sr 

Welcome to the community.  You can take a look at this article -

https://www.idalko.com/servicenow-jira-integration/

Or, you can search Marketplace - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/ for Jira/ServiceNow integration add-ons.

Lastly, you can contact ServiceNow vendor for their recommendation for integration with Jira On-prems or Cloud.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

John P Sanchez Sr April 19, 2022

Thank you, all.

I am investigating both,  I appreciate all the comments and help.

John Sanchez

Security Liaison & Support

<removed_by_moderators>

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2022

Welcome to the Community, @John P Sanchez Sr !

I agree with the suggestions provided by @Joseph Chung Yin for Jira & ServiceNow integration.

Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 19, 2022

@John P Sanchez Sr  welcome! :) 

What is your use case? Do you have one? I think it all starts with it. The integration between the two, especially if a bi-directional one, has its benefits. You can transfer a variety of data between the systems. 

As already mentioned - there are a lot of options available on the market. And it's up to you to decide which one will help you. I'd like to propose taking a look at ZigiOps. It's a no-code integration platform that can establish a bi-directional connection between Jira and SNow.  You can transfer default and custom fields. Feel free to take a look at it, see the use cases it can solve and if you want to take it further - you can book a demo to see it in action.

Regards, Diana (Zigiwave)

Dhiren Notani_Exalate_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2022

Hi @John P Sanchez Sr ,

This is Dhiren from Exalate.

Exalate, provides a fully bi-directional synchronization between ServiceNow and Jira (among other ITSM systems) that is fully customizable. It is easy to set up and Exalate uses a scripting engine which is based on Groovy scripts where you can control what data you want to share and even you can independently handle the incoming information. You can achieve complex use-cases with ease. 

If you would like to see a customized demo of the product in action, feel free to book a slot with us. 

Thanks
Dhiren

Like # people like this
OpsHub May 15, 2022

Hi @John P Sanchez Sr 

At the outset, having defined requirements and selection criteria will help you decide the right integration approach and tool to integrate Jira and ServiceNow successfully. Therefore, consider the following before embarking on Jira and ServiceNow integration:

• Format change: Jira and ServiceNow tools use different rich text formatting standards. ServiceNow uses HTML text formatting, whereas Jira uses Wiki markup text formatting. Therefore, it is important to analyze if there is a need to integrate rich-text fields between Jira and ServiceNow or not.
  • Assignment group and project mapping: Jira and ServiceNow organize data differently. For example, ServiceNow users often use ‘Assignment Group’ or some other field for organizing their data, whereas Jira users use Projects. Consider how data is mapped across different Jira projects from ServiceNow and whether the integration tool supports such configuration.
  • Comments behavior: ServiceNow users can add customer-visible comments and work notes for internal circulation and use. Evaluate if you need to sync comments from Jira to ServiceNow. Moreover, configuring the integration tool to sync Jira comments as public or private comments should also be considered.
  • Field level conflict management: If you want bidirectional data integration, data is updated simultaneously in Jira and ServiceNow in real-time. Conflict management, in such cases, becomes a must-have feature.
  • Dynamic user mapping: Determine if you want to integrate user fields like Assignee, Reporter, etc., or not. If the username is not the same, find out how the tool will map users between Jira and ServiceNow during the tool evaluation phase. Will it be dynamic without mapping each user (one by one), or will it be manual mapping? Decide if the available integration solution fulfils your integration requirements.
  • Audit synchronization: Decide whether you want to integrate every action taken by the end-user in Jira to ServiceNow and vice-versa or want to ensure that the end state matches between the tools. E.g., during the synchronization, if the user modifies the status from Open -> In Progress -> Resolved in Jira, is it okay if users see Open -> Resolved in ServiceNow, or do you want to ensure that the exact transition (Open -> In Progress -> Resolved) is visible in ServiceNow as well?

After identifying requirements and selection criteria, select an integration tool that best fulfills your integration needs. Following are the popular sync tool types:

• Plugin-based: Requires add-ons to be added in ServiceNow and Jira. Best suited for a small-scale and basic integration. Usually, plugins do not support advanced features like conflict management, user integration, failure management, etc.
  • Workflow-based: Best option when you want to write and maintain scripts to handle conflict, advanced mapping configuration, user integration, etc.
  • Federated platform: Highly recommended if you want a standalone complete integration tool that caters to all your integration nuances out of the box without scripting anything.

OpsHub, an Atlassian partner and a certified integration tool, is a federated integration platform that can ease your integration journey. The Community Edition integrates all standard-issue types between Jira and ServiceNow. The Commercial Edition additionally supports integrating Jira Portfolio items, various add-ons, Planning items, etc. For Jira & ServiceNow integration, schedule an initial free consultation session with our solutions architects.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events