I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me which Atlassian products you use on a daily basis

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2023

Hey 👋 
I would love to know;

1. The top 3 Atlassian products you work on a daily basis.
2. Why they are helpful for you?
3. What are the most common problems you face with these products?

I would love to get your answer and start a discussion, this can even be helpful for the product itself, as I can take your feedback in  😊

Thanks,
Rafa

14 comments

Comment

Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro January 3, 2023

Hello Rafa, Happy New Year! :D

Well, answering your questions:

1. The top 3 Atlassian products you work on a daily basis. Jira Software, Jira Service Management and Confluence.
2. Why are they helpful for you? For efficiency, organization, and for being user-friendly.
3. What are the most common problems you face with these products? We're migrating to the Cloud, so sometimes when I need to save a form on the JSM, it can present a bug if I take more time.

Have a great year! 

All the best!

Like # people like this
Ebe January 3, 2023

I have started using just the Jira Software and working my way through.

Helps in organization.

The initial problems I faced were in deletion in case of duplication or an error- not an available feature, which was brought up earlier and received several helpful tips.

Thanks

Like Rafael Meira likes this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2023

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2023

Happy New Year 🥳!!!

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Hey @Ebe 

It can be frustrating when you encounter limitations or missing features, but it's good to know that you were able to find some helpful tips for addressing your issue.

Here are a few additional suggestions:

1. Utilize Jira's built-in hierarchy and structure: Jira offers a range of features and tools that can help you to organize your work and keep track of your progress. For example, you can use epics, stories, and tasks to break down large projects into smaller, more manageable pieces. You can also use labels, components, and fixed versions to add additional context and organization to your work.
  2. Use filters and search to quickly locate specific issues: Jira's built-in search and filtering features can help you to quickly locate specific issues or groups of issues. You can use the "Advanced Search" function to build complex queries using a variety of criteria or save frequently used searches as filters for easy access.
  3. Customize your workflow: If the default workflow for your Jira project doesn't quite fit your needs, you can customize it to better match your team's processes. You can add, remove, or rename statuses, transitions, and other elements of the workflow to better suit your needs.

Hope this helps 😁
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Hey @Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro 

Here are some tips for the issues with saving forms in Jira Software Cloud:

1. Try refreshing the page: If you are having trouble saving a form in Jira Software, one potential workaround is to try refreshing the page. This can help to reset the state of the form and allow you to save your changes.
  2. Check for browser issues: It's possible that the issue you are experiencing is related to your browser or internet connection. Try using a different browser or checking your internet connection to see if this resolves the issue.
  3. Contact Atlassian support: If you are still experiencing problems after trying the above solutions, you may want to consider contacting Atlassian support for assistance, by opening a formal ticket. We will be able to help you troubleshoot the issue and provide additional guidance.

I hope that helped! 😉

Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro January 5, 2023

Hey @Rafael Meira

Much appreciate your kind support and tips!

Thank you! 😃

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2023

The top 3 Atlassian products you work on a daily basis.

1. Jira
  2. Confluence
  3. JPD

Why they are helpful for you?

• Organization across the company and within teams
  • Visibility across the company and within teams ;)
  • Ability to use automations and link directly to our other development and customer support tools

What are the most common problems you face with these products?

1. Ease of use without training/onboarding new users
  2. Limited number of reports available for Kanban boards
Like # people like this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2023

Thanks @Amanda Barber

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Hello @Amanda Barber 

Here are a few potential solutions:

1. Ease of use without training/onboarding: One potential solution for improving the ease of use of Atlassian products without formal training is to provide self-service resources such as documentation and online tutorials. You might also consider setting up a "help desk" or dedicated support team to answer questions and provide guidance as needed.
  2. The limited number of reports available for Kanban boards: If you are looking for additional reporting options for your Kanban boards, you might consider using a third-party plugin such as BigPicture for Jira or Portfolio for Jira. These tools offer a range of advanced reporting and visualization features that can help you to get a better understanding of your team's progress and performance.

Hope that helps 😊

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Ebe January 5, 2023

@Rafael Meira .  Thank you very much for the additional tips. 

Sue Wilson January 3, 2023

• Jira Software Cloud
  • Jira Service Desk Cloud
  • Confluence Cloud

• Jira Software
    • Great for software bug & enhancement tracking following defined processes like workflows.
  • Jira Service Desk
    • Keeps Operations tasks separate from developer tasks & gives the company one place to go to report internal issues. 
  • Confluence
    • Great document repository and knowledge base resource.

• Jira Software
    • having worked on server platform up until recently, many limitations on Cloud make it harder to achieve some of the functions I used to take for granted.  For example, server has more conditions, validations, & post functions available than Cloud.  Add plugins for more functionality and you see even greater disparities.  
  • Jira Service Desk
    • I am learning service desk as I go. It is less intuitive than learning Jira Software, but I've also only been working on it for about 10 months. 
    • It would be helpful to have the ability to use custom urls for each JSD Project to avoid users entering the wrong portal or seeing too many options up front.
    • The Customer vs User paradigm is a bit confusing.  Our Customers are our employees, but only a handful need User (Agent) access to JSD and not all Users require Jira Software and/or Confluence access.  To allow Customers into each portal, we have to add them with site access and figure out a way (by Groups?) they do not have access to all portal projects.
  • Confluence
    • The product itself is great.  It's getting users on board and following a process to ensure similar layouts across Spaces where we struggle.  If a user 'knows how' to use Confluence, they'll set up multiple spaces instead of one with child pages.  While others think it's too difficult to create pages when they can draft a word document or create an excel spreadsheet that they are used to doing.  I spend more time showing them the ease of use than getting them to actually use the product.  Our organization currently has to many 'sources of truth' for documentation with not enough willingness to budge (or in some cases, budget) to shift to a SINGLE source of truth.
Like # people like this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2023

Hey @swilson really appreciate 

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Hello @swilson 

I have tried to resume the topics you mentioned on Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, and Confluence. Here are a few potential solutions to some of the issues you mentioned:

1. Jira Software: One potential workaround for the limitations of the cloud version of Jira Software compared to the server version is to use third-party plugins to add additional functionality. There are many plugins available that can help to extend the capabilities of Jira Software and provide additional conditions, validations, and post functions.
  2. Jira Service Desk: To avoid confusion for users when accessing Jira Service Desk projects, you might consider using custom URLs for each project. This can make it easier for users to access the correct portal and project, and reduce the risk of them seeing too many options upfront.
  3. Customer vs User paradigm: To manage access for your customers (employees) within Jira Service Desk, you might consider using customer groups and permissions to control which users can view and access certain service requests and pages. This can help you to ensure that only the users who need access to specific projects or portals are able to see them.
  4. Confluence: To encourage more consistent use of Confluence and improve the organization of your documentation, you might consider setting up guidelines and best practices for creating and organizing pages within Confluence. This could include templates and standards for page layouts, as well as a process for reviewing and approving new pages. You might also consider providing training and support to help team members learn how to use Confluence more effectively.

Best,

Sue Wilson January 23, 2023

@Rafael Meira

Apologies for the delayed response. 

1. Sadly, that is the route we've had to follow in some cases, much to management & finances dismay.  That's actually kind of my point, what is available in server is not in Cloud without add-ons, but the business requests remain the same.  So it takes more time, research, and configuration to come up with solutions or alternatives when those solutions (add-ons) are too pricey.

2. We can't use a custom url within the project.  It has to be what is provided during setup.  We are working on pointing our existing custom url(s) to each portal for this, but seems it should work within Atlassian, not as a customer workaround.  There is an open ticket for this so we will do the custom ourselves for now and hope this one is implemented in the near future.

3.  That's exactly what we are working on.  We've created Customer groups that we will use to direct traffic to the appropriate Service Desk portals.  Thank you!

4.  I am relatively new to this organization and have been working on guidelines and best practices for months now.  I have offered training as well, however, the company has several sources of truth and has yet to decide whether or not to reduce them to one or, at minimum, a select few.  The users that are in Confluence have been receptive to the changes, so we've done a pretty good clean up and onboarding job.  At least moving forward within those respective teams is getting better until we find out whether there will be future adopters.

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2023

Happy New @Rafael Meira

For my org we use these on the daily: (had to include more than 3)

• Confluence
  • JSM
  • JPD
  • JSW
  • JWM
    Why they are helpful for you? Just having different ways to track data make these products helpful. Not everything can be track as a task. Using specific agile ideas helps to keep things organized. The customization is awesome & the automation.

What are the most common problems you face with these products? Getting every team to utilize the tool as been the hard part for me. If the whole org is using one tool to unify communication and execute issues it makes it a lot simpler. Atlassian gives you a lot to make it work. Its training and getting all users to be able to use the product that is hard. The ease of use is getting better with time and cloud.

Like # people like this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2023

Appreciated @Aaron Geister

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Hey @Aaron Geister

Certainly, it can be challenging to get all team members to consistently use a tool like Jira or Confluence, especially if they are not familiar with it or if it requires a change in their existing workflow. Here are a few strategies that might be helpful for increasing the adoption of Atlassian products within your organization:

1. Communicate the benefits: Make sure that all team members understand the benefits of using the tool, and how it can help them to be more productive and collaborative. Highlight specific features and functions that will be most useful to them.
  2. Provide training and support: Offer training sessions and documentation to help team members learn how to use the tool effectively. Consider setting up a "help desk" or dedicated support team to answer questions and provide guidance as needed.
  3. Make the tool easy to access: (*****) Consider using the cloud-based versions of the tools, which can be accessed from any device with an internet connection. This can make it easier for team members to use the tools on the go, and can help to increase adoption.
  4. Encourage use of the tool: Consider setting up incentives or rewards for team members who consistently use the tool, or making it a requirement for certain tasks or projects. You could also consider implementing processes or policies that require the use of the tool for certain activities.

I would love to hear if you have any other suggestions, or past actions you've tried that worked 😄

Like Aaron Geister likes this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2023

Currently I am trying to not reinvent a wheel.
I am sending users to Jira & Confluence Fundamentals at the Atlassian University to learn how to do basic navigation and best practice of the tools. 

I am also running different training groups to do a more compact training of Jira and Confluence navigation and how we utilize the products at our org. 

I within this last year implemented JSM to help teams service our internal custom base. Giving the idea that each team can be responsible for their own service management. Example would be Finance, HR, IT, Logistics, Legal, etc. 

We have confluence documentation for the org to help supplement how too's and drive more self help. 

We have had the support of the org and departments to utilize the tool to help us in our daily works. This was the hard part but its working and growing in usage weekly. 

Thank you for the outline as I will fit that into my own workflow to help others. 

Kwame Afreh January 3, 2023

@Rafael Meira 

1. Tell me the top 3 Atlassian products you work on a daily basis.

I used these three and I will say the first two are on daily basis

• Jira Software (Premium)
  • Advanced Roadmap
  • Confluence

2. Why they are helpful for you?

Jira Software is the main backlog tool for our teams and I must say it has been really help by opening up the backlog visibility and collaboration between teams. It has been helping with dependency mapping a lot. Also, it will be great to have all the issue structure within the project visible on the project level roadmap. What has been one problem is that, if we define issue types hierarchy above the default Jira epic  (E.g Initiative, Epic Story), only the epics are visible in the roadmap and we have to use Jira Plan to visualize the full structure.

Advanced Roadmap have been helpful in the since that it helps all the teams and management to visualize the issue hierarchy from initiative to story level. It also gives a clear over view of the progress of the initiatives. Lastly, it gives a true picture of which teams are contributing to the initiatives.

Confluence has been useful for documenting specification, training materials etc. Love the fact that, multiple people can edit the same page. Great for collaboration.

Jira Software: Project structure could be better. We have multiple organizations in the same Jira account and let's say we are following the Spotify model. We have Tribes (Team of Teams), all in all we have over 400 Jira projects across multiple organizations. We have to employ different naming conventions and the category to differentiate the projects from different organizations and Tribes. A simple Tree like project structure will make it easier and user friendly for our members.

Advanced Roadmap (Jira Plan): Useful but it the following have been a problem

• The limit on both project and number of issues in the plan is a big issue as we can't visualize the entire organizational backlog as results of this limit.
  • Cross project release:  why can't those be push to the individual projects. We have similar release for multiple teams and since there is already option to create project specific release, it will be good idea to have the cross-project release as central release. Create and make them visible to project associated with them instead having to link cross-project release with project specific release.
  • In a big organization where we have multiple project, project key is not enough in Jira plans, it is necessary to be able to add project as column in the (Fields) just as it is possible in the filter view.
  • Lastly, users will like to have reporter as column in Jira Plans but not possible at the moment.
Like # people like this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2023

Thank you so much @Kwame Afreh for your response.
I will wait for more responses during this week and get back to each one, feel free to add anything else if you want.

Best,

Like Kwame Afreh likes this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Hello @Kwame Afreh sorry for the long response 🙂

Here are a few potential solutions to some of the issues you mentioned (managing a large number of projects within Jira Software and using the Advanced Roadmap (Jira Plan) feature):

1. Project structure: One potential solution for improving the project structure in Jira Software could be to use Jira's built-in project categories to group your projects by organization or Tribe. This would allow you to use a common naming convention for projects within the same category, and make it easier for users to find and access the projects they need.
  2. Advanced Roadmap (Jira Plan) limits: The limits on the number of projects and issues that can be included in a Jira Plan are in place to ensure the performance of the feature. If you are running into these limits and need to visualize a larger backlog, you might consider using a third-party tool such as BigPicture or Portfolio for Jira to manage your organization's roadmap. These tools offer more advanced planning and visualization features and can handle larger amounts of data.
  3. Cross-project releases: Currently, the Advanced Roadmap (Jira Plan) feature does not support pushing cross-project releases to individual projects. However, you can link a cross-project release to a project-specific release by using the "Linked Releases" field in the project-specific release. This will allow you to track the progress of the cross-project release within the individual project.
  4. Additional columns in Jira Plans: At this time, it is not possible to add additional columns to a Jira Plan, such as the project key or reporter. However, you can use the built-in filters and grouping options to view the data you need in a different way. Additionally, you can use the BigPicture or Portfolio for Jira tools mentioned above, which offer more advanced customization options for roadmap views.

Let me know if you have any other questions ✌️

Rich Golebiowski January 3, 2023
  1. I'm only using Confluence. At work, I'm using Confluence for documenting our ERP system and customizations. I also use Confluence as a tool for personal journaling and work journaling. 
  2. Dase of use. Also, the ERP system has a lot of interconnected customizations. So, a helpful feature is being able to have links between pages.
  3. No problems.
Like # people like this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to write your answer, Rich!

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Hey @Rich Golebiowski 

I'm glad to hear that you're finding Confluence helpful for your documentation and journaling needs! Confluence is a powerful tool for organizing and sharing information, and its ability to create and follow links between pages can be especially useful for keeping track of complex systems like an ERP with interconnected customizations.

If you're looking to make the most of Confluence, here are a few tips that might be helpful:

• Utilize Confluence's page hierarchy and space structure to organize your content in a logical way. This can make it easier to find and access the information later on.
  • Use the built-in search and filtering features to quickly locate specific pages or content within Confluence.
  • Customize the look and feel of your Confluence instance with themes and logos to make it feel more personal and reflective of your organization's brand.
  • Take advantage of Confluence's collaboration features, such as page commenting and @mentions, to facilitate communication and collaboration within your team.

😄👍🏻

Like Rich Golebiowski likes this
Rich Golebiowski June 15, 2023

I am using the page hierarchy for my journal. It is broken up as year, month, week, and days.

Capture.PNG

Łukasz Modzelewski _TTPSC_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 3, 2023

1. Jira Software, Jira Service Management, Confluence.

2. Keep track of the work done, in progress, and it's all linked together. It would be hard to replace this set up.

3. No problems with tools, but some with following our best practises and introduction of changes. When people get used to something, it can be hard to change habits.

Like # people like this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Thanks Łukasz! 👏🏻

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Hey @Luk 

Indeed, It can be challenging to introduce changes to established processes and practices, especially when people are used to working a certain way. Here are a few strategies that I found within my team that might be helpful for managing this type of change:

1. Communicate clearly and effectively: Make sure that all team members understand the reasons for the change, and how it will benefit them and the team as a whole. Consider using multiple channels (e.g. email, meetings, online training) to ensure that everyone has access to the information they need.
  2. Provide support and resources: Offer training, documentation, and other resources to help team members learn how to use the new tools and processes. Consider setting up a "help desk" or dedicated support team to answer questions and provide guidance as needed.
  3. Be patient and understanding: Change can be difficult, and it's important to recognize that it may take time for people to adjust. Be patient and understanding as team members adapt to the new tools and practices, and try to be flexible as you work through any challenges that may arise.
  4. Celebrate successes: As team members begin to use the new tools and processes, be sure to celebrate their successes and recognize their efforts. This can help to build momentum and encourage continued adoption of the new practices.

😊

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2023

Hi @Rafael Meira!

Thank you for taking the time to engage with the Community this way this is awesome!

I work in a JSM project and Confluence and as an Atlassian Admin, I'm responsible for the configuration of the Jira Software projects our R&D teams use.

Why they are helpful for you?

Where to I even start.  Confluence is a corporate standard for our 2500+ employees so everything documentation wise is stored there and it's the single source of truth for anything you need to find.

Jira (both JSM & JSW) are what allows our R&D and DevOps teams to be able to complete our work as efficiently as possible.

Thankfully, I have been lucky enough to speak with members of the Atlassian Product teams to share my concerns already, but a couple of the big complaints we have are all JSM focused and are as follows:

• Better "Customer Organization"/Group management for internal customers
  • Rich text support for JSM Forms
  • JSM Assets macro for Confluence

Thanks again!

Like # people like this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Thank you @Jimmy Seddon for sharing!
I actually love this community environment and I hope to spend more time weekly here.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 4, 2023

Hey @Jimmy Seddon I have crafted a response for your common problems, hope you can extract useful information.

1. Better "Customer Organization"/Group management for internal customers:

It sounds like you are looking for ways to better manage and organize your internal customers within Jira Service Management (JSM). One potential solution for this issue could be to utilize JSM's built-in customer request types and customer groups. You can use request types to create different categories for customer requests (e.g. "bug report", "feature request", etc.), and customer groups to organize your internal customers based on criteria such as department, location, etc.

Additionally, you might find it helpful to use JSM's customer permissions feature, which allows you to control which customers can view and access certain service requests and pages within your JSM project.

2. Rich text support for JSM Forms:

It seems that you would like to be able to use rich text formatting (e.g. bold, italic, bullet points, etc.) within JSM Forms. While this is not currently a native feature of JSM Forms, there are a few potential workarounds that you might find helpful:

• One option is to use JSM's Description field, which does support rich text formatting, to provide more detailed information about a customer request.
  • Another option is to use a third-party plugin such as ScriptRunner for JSM, which provides a rich text editor for JSM Forms.

3. JSM Assets macro for Confluence:

The JSM Assets macro is a Confluence macro that allows you to display a list of assets (e.g. servers, devices, etc.) that are associated with a JSM project within a Confluence page. This can be helpful for providing a visual overview of the assets that are being managed within a JSM project.

To use the JSM Assets macro, you will need to have the JSM Connector for Confluence installed and configured. Once you have the connector set up, you can add the JSM Assets macro to a Confluence page by using the "Insert" menu and selecting "JSM Assets" from the "JSM" section.

I hope this information is helpful! 😉

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2023

@Rafael Meira I really appreciate the detailed response and follow-up!

1.  What I'm actually waiting for is a Cloud version of: https://www.atlassian.com/wac/roadmap/data-center/sharing-requests-with-group?search=share&p=607f3cb9-fb

2. I appreciate the suggestions and I'm currently using some workarounds similar to what you suggested, but it's still something we are waiting for ;)

3. I didn't know this was available now thank you for the update!

Johnny O Manns January 5, 2023

In our software development company we use:

• JIRA to manage multiple backlogs, sprints and Issue/Defect Management. I like the customizable layouts, workflows, reports, filters, etc.. I also like the ability to access batches of tickets and QA them without the system auto-generating a notification to the ticket's watchers. It would be nice to have videos in the help documentation showing a general high level view of how to configure some of more challenging features.... like setting up workflows. 
  • Confluence for documentation creation, management and sharing. The macros and the linking capabilities with JIRA are very user friendly and useful. The navigation pane is my favorite feature, but I've noticed that very few of my staff and peers use it. Exporting pages as a PDF typically yields good results, but exporting to Word needs significant improvement.
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 5, 2023

Hey @Johnny O Manns Thank you for your comment!

It sounds like you have a good understanding of the features and benefits of JIRA and Confluence, and that you have found them to be useful tools for managing your software development process. It can be helpful to have video documentation available for more challenging features, such as setting up workflows, as this can make it easier for users to understand how to use these features effectively.

It's also good to know that you find the linking capabilities between JIRA and Confluence to be useful, as this can make it easier to manage and track related information. The navigation pane in Confluence can also be a helpful feature, but it can be helpful to encourage your staff and peers to use it to make it easier to find and access information.

Exporting pages as a PDF can be a useful feature in Confluence, but it sounds like exporting to Word could be improved. It might be helpful to share this feedback with the Confluence team or to look for third-party tools that can help to improve the quality of exports to Word.

Hope these tips could help. Have a wonderful day!

vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2023

@Rafael Meira 

Mine are Bitbucket DC, Jira DC and Cloud, Confluence.

Vikram P

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 5, 2023

Thanks for sharing @vikram 
Specifically How do you use Bitbucket and Confluence?

Sachin Korgaonkar January 5, 2023

Addition to JIRA and Confluence I also use Trello to manage my personal tasks and reminders. 

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 6, 2023

Hey @Sachin Korgaonkar Thanks for sharing!
I love Trello myself :)

Onder Ozcan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2023

Hey @Rafael Meira 

That's a great question.

1. Confluence, Jira Software and JSM 
2. Confluence is the heart of communication between different team members and teams. It is also a great place to share knowledge and store what tumbles out from my brain, which contributes to our products :) Other than that, Kanban and Scrum projects are my go-to places in Jira Software. JSM is, of course, my love, the tool where we touch our prospects and customers. Everything is in one place, whether feature requests, questions or app-related issues. 
3. Look and feel, or themes, is where the room for opportunities for JSM and Confluence.

Happy New Year
Onder

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 6, 2023

Hey @Onder Ozcan 

It sounds like you are very familiar with Confluence, Jira Software, and JSM and use them for various purposes in your work.

The look and feel, or themes, of these tools, may be an area where there is room for improvement and customization. Is there anything specific that you would like to change or improve about the themes in these tools, or do you have any questions about how to customize them?

Onder Ozcan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2023

Hi @Rafael Meira 

Thanks for your swift response. The obvious answer would be that it would be great if you could provide a similar extension capability just like the Refined app. Also, making an ITSM project visible/invisible to the customer portal would be fantastic. Imagine you have one platform, which is your production site on Cloud, and you are developing a brand new support portal for the HR team. Whilst you are developing the portal, you want to make it invisible to the public or visible to the internal team only. I hope it makes sense.

Cheers,

Onder

Like # people like this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2023

@Onder Ozcan 

You can achieve this from the project settings > Customer permissions. You can in there set to add users by admins only. This can set up the stage for you to build a new project not customer facing whether that is internal or we external customer base. 

This way you use permissions to control the portal project access. If you have only set the admins that are building the project to see it whilst getting it set up. 

Hope this helps. 

Like # people like this
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2023

Thanks @Aaron Geister 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Onder Ozcan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2023

@Aaron Geister Thanks for sharing the customer permission options. It's super helpful. 

Like # people like this
Manisha Kharga _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2023

Hi @Rafael Meira ,

Jira Software, Confluence, Jira Service Management.

To track my daily work and increase my efficiency.
    Confluence helps to manage all documents.
    Using JSM I can track all the tickets and their progress.

Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2023

Hey @Manisha Kharga _Appfire_ Thank you for sharing :)

It is amazing that you use all these 3 products, actually, I don't know what I would do without these 3.

Jira Software, Confluence, and Jira Service Management are all popular products from Atlassian.

I love to use Jira Software to track and manage tasks and projects, and it can help users to increase their efficiency by providing a clear overview of their work and progress.
Confluence, on the other hand, I use as a tool that allows teams to easily share and collaborate on documents and the Jira Service Management is an IT service management solution that allows all users to track and manage IT tickets, making it a useful tool for IT departments and other teams that need to manage service requests. 

Thank you again for sharing.

😄

Michiel Schuijer February 1, 2023

• Jira Software + Service Management (Data Center)
  • Confluence (Server)

• Keep track of incoming requests (Jira Service Management project)
  • Provide Self-Service requests (Jira Service Management project with ScriptRunner customization)
  • Kanban tracking of team incentives (OKRs, operational stuff in Jira Software project)
  • Collaborate on, create and share documentation for our 'tools' and (best) practices
  • Integrations with other solutions (either in our own network or outside, some via API, others via Apps)

3. What are the most common problems you face with these products?

• Our Jira can be slow, app updates have to be run outside business hours because these have huge performance impact, and regularly causes issues (support request opened about it).
  • Certain features missing/different compared to Jira/Confluence Cloud (Roadmaps, new interface, free ProForma Forms, Confluence Templates, many others) and some of our users who have used or seen Cloud Jira/Confluence don't understand why we don't have this (raises questions).
  • Several features are not available out of the box and require paid add-ons (apps), and it is hard to convince management of the ROI of these and get budget (it does get expensive as well and the apps are piling up, making Jira less stable and harder to maintain if they are not part of the main installation). Things like system administrative reports about users/groups, projects/spaces, usage/activity, workflow post functions (it's nice project admins can change workflows, but they can't set resolution actions/screen and this causes issues regularly)
Rafael Meira
Atlassian Team
February 15, 2023

Hey @Michiel Schuijer 
Thank you so much for sharing 😄

How do you usually address these problems?

For performance issues, we try to optimize the server infrastructure, implement caching, and reduce the number of apps in use. We also regularly monitor and analyze the performance data to identify and resolve any bottlenecks.

Regarding missing features, we usually look for alternative solutions such as apps or add-ons that can provide similar functionality, and we evaluate their cost and ROI. If we believe an app can provide significant value, we try to make a case to management and obtain the necessary budget.

For features that are not available out of the box, we sometimes use custom scripting or development to implement the required functionality. Additionally, we provide training and documentation to help our users better understand the product and its limitations, and we communicate regularly about our roadmap and plans for addressing their concerns. Also, we are able to create very specific feature requests on different topics.

Best,
Rafa

Like Sue Wilson likes this
Michiel Schuijer February 20, 2023

Hi, we do exactly the same as you wrote, on all three counts:

Performance (tweaking hardware and reducing apps), missing features (apps/add-ons, evaluate cost and ROI) and customization (scripting, automation and ScriptRunner behaviours).

We provide custom documentation or links to existing online documentation and instruction videos. Training we do offer, but limited, and we don't get many requests for it, so we can probably improve this part.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events