Hello - I am new to Jira

Bert Rivero July 5, 2019

I am new to Jira and am hoping I can be pointed in the right direction. I am looking to build out our current use of Jira, we are using weekly sprints and they are not working as effectively as I would like. The last place I worked we implemented Kanban boards with swim lanes and that worked like a charm. Is there a way to build Kanban boards as part of weekly sprints assigning work to users. I noticed there is a market place, and am wondering is it better to purchase a plugin that someone has already created or is it easy enough to create them with out that?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Bert

6 comments

Comment

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2019

Hi Bert,

Welcome to the Community. 

If you are currently working with sprints, you have a scrum board.

If you want to use a kanban board, you do not have sprints, because in kanban no sprints exist.

But if you just want to use swim lanes, they can be used with a scrum board also.

Just go to board configuration and then to the swim lane setting. 

Like Erica Moss likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2019

If you have Jira Software (not Jira Core) and you set up your project as a Jira Software project then you have the ability to create a Kanban board and work your tickets that way. It's built into Jira Software ... no app necessary.

Like # people like this
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2019

Hi Bert,

Can you please provide more details on why it's not working as efficiently? I use a mix of Scrum and Kanban, where I've configured a Scrum board with weekly sprints, but allow to add new stories as we need it. The idea is that we can plan on Monday but we allocate some time for other tasks that are related to support and maintenance. I like the Scrum view because you have the epic panel gives a summary for each epic (very useful if your stories are linked to epics.)

Carlos

Like # people like this
Tanya C July 7, 2019

I agree with @Carlos Garcia Navarro  - you can use a combination of both Scrum and Kanban.  You rank, groom your backlog and plan sprints in Scrum but if you want to also use a Kanban if the team prefers that method of moving planned work through to completion.  I'd strongly advise to not use Rank on the Kanban so as not affect the Scrum board's goal of ranking.  

In the Kanban you could filter on issues that have a Sprint (sprint is not EMPTY value or some other distinguishing factor to ensure that no unplanned work is being done via that board.  Careful though, as if you start to plan sprints the value is there but you haven't started it.  (I'm not able to check right now but there may be a way to filter on Sprint is active.)

At any rate, you've come to the right place to get help and advise on how to make the best of the tools/features that Jira Software affords you.  

Cheers,

Tanya

Like # people like this
Bert Rivero July 11, 2019

Good morning, to sum up both @Tanya C and @Carlos Garcia Navarro, the last place I worked we used Agile, but for IT Operations and Engineering, I used kanban boards. We were not using Jira, but another product. When I started here at Bankwell, this ream is using sprints, to basically just track work. There is zero accountability for work completed and work is just pushed to another week. Current CIO implemented Jira and sprints because that is what he used at his last place. My team is struggling with priority and understanding current work and "next in line." 

I presented the Kanban method that worked for me in the past and they really like the idea of having a kanban board to track their work, understanding what is next in line. This is the reason I want to use Kanban rather than what is in place now. There are also many "daily and weekly" tasks that are put into the sprints that are not relevant to project work over all. Need to be done and we need to be able to show that work has been done. I am not a project manager but have learned to manage projects by way of running large teams and having to show progress and or dependencies and road blocks. I was spoiled at my last job and had a fantastic Project manager. Here, I do not have that luxury and need to make this as efficient as possible. Learning Jira and running projects all at once is a large task, all at the same time running an entire IT and IS department of 18 people. I am not saying that Sprints do not work, I just know that when I went to kanban boards at my last place we really made some incredible headway on projects and were able to complete projects ahead of time. I am open to any suggestions. 

Thank you all for your responses. The Jira community is great!! 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2019

@Bert Rivero Welcome to the Community! 🎉 Sounds like you're already getting some pro tips. 😄

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2019

Welcome @Bert Rivero 

Like Erica Moss likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events