What was the first version of Jira or Confluence you worked on? #TBT

It's Thursday!

giphy

Ok, good folk. When I starting using Jira, as a regular user back in 2010, it was on version 4.1 :) But as an admin, I first started working on version 5.2.

jira2.jpg

Can you remember what was the first version of Jira or Confluence you used?

Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

30 comments

Comment

Karen Rogalski December 2, 2021

I worked on Version 4.1 also. The Jira UI has changed but basic functionality is the same plus all the new Agile stuff.

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro December 2, 2021

Hi @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Interesting question 😃 !

I started to use Jira recently in 2016 - and the version was  7.0.9. 

But, I attended one big customer a few years ago that still used version  4.1 in the IT team. They had this version for a reason, but I got impressed with the interface and features, hahaha!

Always delightful to remember!

Cheers, 😊😁👏

Like # people like this
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2021

Confluence 4.0 in 2011! A whole decade of Confluence admining. ;-)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

I didn't start using Jira until April of 2014 and I immediately started as an admin learning on the job.  Prior to that I worked at an Atlassian competitor so I had a relative idea of how to get started.  I believe that would have been version 6.1 of Jira Server that I started on.

Confluence, I have only ever used Cloud and I didn't start using it until 2019 so not that long ago.

Like # people like this
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

Great topic, thanks @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

When I started working with Jira it was 3.x (probably 3.7)

As a plugin developer, I started with Jira 4.1. 

As an admin, I started with Jira 5.x.

Like # people like this
Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck December 2, 2021

I only started this year so that would be 8.something, I guess? Can't remember, I'm not good with numbers :þ

Like # people like this
Darin Klein December 2, 2021

Confluence 4 in 2011 as well.  So many improvements, but I still miss wiki text. :-) 

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

@Darin Klein YES, wiki text!

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

I started with Jira 4.4 and my company decided to moved to Jira 5. It was a huuuuuge UI improvment for me :D In some period of time I was working on Jira 4 and 5 in the same time. Sometimes was very hard to switch from v5 to v4 ;)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

Ok, I'm going to show my age here...

Jira 2.something 

Confluence 1

My first job with Atlassian stuff was "version 3 comes out soon, you need to be ready to upgrade to it, and then become the owner/admin".  A part of that was even merging a Jira 1 into the nice shiny new 3.0.3 I'd upgraded to.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

And the "winner" so far is...

giphy

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-!  Version 2.something, dang! That is cool :)

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

This is indeed a few years old. I remember that in Q2 of 2013, we purchased Jira 5.1(greenhopper+bonfire), Confluence 5.0, Stash.

1.jpg22.jpg

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

Great post, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ! 

As far as I remember, I started working as an Atlassian Consultant and Admin on Jira Server v6.1 and Confluence Server v5.4.

Like # people like this
ABDULLAHI OLASUPO December 2, 2021

Confluence 4 in 2011 same here.

Great #tbt @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Like # people like this
Himanshu Jadon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2021

started using it in year 2013 and I love this TB Thursday, thanks for keep on posting this.

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2021

So glad you like them, @Himanshu Jadon , thank you.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2021

Oof, I don't even want to think about it... 😅

To age myself, I remember when Jira Agile wasn't Jira Agile, and was a separate add-on. 🦗

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2021

@Dave Liao - working backwards, I remember Jira Software... Jira Agile... Greenhopper... Not having boards...  (Greenhopper was one of Atlassian's earliest acquisitions if memory serves, and I think the original authors were Greenpepper!)

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2021

@Dave Liao  wow, co'mon. Share it with us, brother...  :)

Ah, Greenhopper! I think I was at the mid or end tail of it, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Like # people like this
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2021

I think I am also old enough to see all @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- mentioned :)

Similar to Greenhopper -> Jira Agile -> Jira Software journey, post-acquisition of VertygoSLA

VertygoSLA -> Jira Service Desk -> Jira Service Management

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2021

Seems like @Tuncay Senturk  and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  could / should write a book about the history and evolution of Jira :) Would be a good Christmas read, since this is the time for jólabókaflóð:

jólabókaflóð.jfif

Like # people like this
Mariano Gedisman May 19, 2022

Me having lived in Iceland a few years ago, and missing old versions of Jira, this brings a lovely yet nostalgic tear to me eye, thank you !

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2023

I started out on Cloud nearly 9 years ago. Not sure what the version was back then. Or even now HAHA

Like # people like this
Karen Rogalski January 30, 2023

Jira Server version 2 I think, about 14 years ago; way before Greenhopper.

Like # people like this
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2023

Pretty sure it was 4.1 for Jira

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events