Throwback Thursday: What was your go-to lunch meal in high school? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
The 1987-1988 school year, I was an exchange student in Arizona. I was a senior and the school was a walking distance from the house where my host family lived (not that it matter because they drove to school anyways...). We were three seniors and then a sophomore living in that house (+ a younger girl). It was a small town (only 2 restaurants to speak of). We would go home for lunch almost every day.
giphy
We would usually eat Tina's frozen burritos for lunch (see the picture below). Therefore, the rush and competition was to get the microwave once we got into the house :) It was sometimes a mad rush and real shoving going on.
burrito.png
So, what was your go-to lunch meal in high school?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

24 comments

Comment

Luis Machado
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2022

I was a free lunch kid. Square pizza days were the best. Steak fingers with an ice cream scoop of instant mashed potatoes were a close second.

Like # people like this
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2022

I always went back home for lunch, which was often just sandwiches.
Simple but tasty.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

My High School was 26 miles from home, so unless I wanted to become an elite marathoner I never went home for lunch. But I was also a lazy High School teenager and never packed anything in advance. That meant I was buying lunch from THE LUNCH LADY. 

First of all, Adam Sandler didn't go to my High School, but his Lunch Lady Land Song was 100% about our beloved Mrs. Levine. My favorite were the $0.50 baked knishes with a mustard packet. Always so hot they burned the top of my mouth, which at least meant the mold and bacteria that must have been growing on everything in that kitchen was neutralized. For $1.00 I could get a knish, energy bar and sprinkled cookie. 

I miss the days when I had an iron stomach and could eat without looking at the calorie count or nutritional facts...

Like # people like this
Aida Johnson December 8, 2022

Nachoooos! I would put everything on them and chop them up and mix it up with my fork and it was AMAZING!

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

Lunch was interesting at my high school cafeteria.  There were many options!

There was always a special of the day.  Think things like meatloaf, chicken, or rotating entree with different vegetable sides.

The second line had the mainstays.  Hamburgers (made with beef? patties) and French fries.

We were also allowed to go to the Wendy's across the street.  Just in case there was nothing to eat at the cafeteria.

Like # people like this
Dwante.Jackson December 8, 2022

I feel you Kristján on the Tina' burritos, but Hot pockets RULED. 

Like # people like this
Dwante.Jackson December 8, 2022

@Luis Machado Man you brough back memories with the square pizza. my thing was to splatter it with ketchup then roll up like a log. um um good 

Like # people like this
Mark Holmes (Adaptavist) December 8, 2022

When I had money, it was Wendy's. We had one just a block up from our campus. I loved to get myself a Jr Bacon Cheeseburger with a chocolate Frosty.

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

Our house was very close to the school, so I had no other option but to go back home for lunch.

huy_pham December 9, 2022

My high-shool very near my house. So, I take a bicycle to go back home and rest 30mins before returning to learn the next course at school.

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

Nutella sandwich was my preferred one for sure!

Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2022

Where I live the only option was to take something from home, there was a small a'la cafeteria but it had like 4 tables and you could buy a pastry, bar, apple or a sandwich there. Mostly you would take sandwiches from home and a bottle of water and just it sitting on the floor. TBH I so envied people from american movies that they had tables to eat like normal people ;) 

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

Only the healthiest hot lunch options for me - a hot pretzel, cheese and a chocolate chip cookies? Ha! Can't imagine eating like that now!!

Like # people like this
Dwante.Jackson December 9, 2022

@Amanda Barber I forgot about the hot pretzel and cheese dip. I would get that or chili cheese corn chips and cheese dip all the time. who needed fruit cocktail and salad. lol. 

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

I went to many schools during my childhood because I was a military brat, but my favorite was in Las Vegas when my family was stationed at Nellis Air Force Base. They had the normal cafeteria food and a snack bar where you could buy things. I used to love hamburger day! I also loved square pizza day Luis Machado! I would go to the snack bar and buy all sorts of things on the days I didn't like the meals. I would eat pretzels, churros, nachos, etc. It was great! 

Giovanni Schiano-Moriello December 9, 2022

Chicken sandwich, fruit juice, and two chocolate chip cookies from the school cafeteria was the usual. If they had decent food on rotation that day, sometimes I'd get that instead, like a cold sub, grilled cheese, or a calzone.

Also on rare occassions and with a short line, that pretzel and cheese dip were fun!

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2022

It was either home made sandwiches or a warm meal (soup, main course, dessert) you could get in the basement mess. No very memorable as we weren't allowed to leave school during lunch.

Luke Collins December 11, 2022

Just a plain ol burger and chips for me with some tomato ketchup. £1.50. Absolute bargain!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2022

Two slices of pizza for $1.25.  

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2022

Most days I brought a bagged lunch from home.  But on occasion I would go with some friends to the mall across the street from my high school.  The go to place for me in the food court was a place called "China Star".  Three Chicken Balls, a plate full of fried rice and a drink for a $1.50 was an exceptional deal!

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2022

Bread and nutella still rocks :)

Bread and Nutella: The Classic Italian Snack at McDonald's - La Cucina  Italiana

Like # people like this
Abhay Gupta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

Aloo Pyaaz ka parantha - that's in Hindi and a favourite breakfast in North India

Or we can call it Potato & Onion filled flat bread - that's in English.

aloo-paratha-big-image-1-foodies-bylanes_1422616368_725x725

Like # people like this
Shivam Desai December 19, 2022

One of the best on-the-go options.

morning-cup-tea-biscuits-indian-chai-chaha-india-time-222523898.jpg

Like # people like this
Ronald Hipol December 24, 2022

Since we were able to go home for lunch back then: adobo rice most of the time!

Adobo with rice.jpg

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events