Throwback Thursday: What new hobby/sport have you picked up recently? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
Last fall, couple of guys in my street invited me to play pickleball in a park nearby. We met up at the mail boxes at 11:30 and drove to the part together (only about 10 min away) and played until 12:45 or so, to be back home by 1:00 to go back to work. I had heard about pickleball and these courts seemed to be popping up all over the place but I didn´t know the sport. Anywho, I went along and had a...
giphy
We went for a couple of weeks but then winter set in. I couldn´t wait to start again this past sprint. We try to go every week now. It is so much fun!

giphy

Tells us about what new hobby/sport/thing have you picked up recently?

Let’s make it a great Thursday!

KGM

12 comments

Comment

Navella Kunitz August 4, 2022

Ha - that's funny I started PB recently too. My friend is an ambassador for the game here in Vegas and she introduced us to it. Then Vegas got hot so yea, waiting for the fall. So much fun :)

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2022

I first witnessed pickleball down in Spain years ago... I kinda laughed at it. Pretending to be something like tennis or maybe squash, but not really either. More the fool me though, because years later Padel is now the fastest growing sport in the world - and I recently saw a Padel raquet in the local shops for four-flocking-hundred euros. Aiiiiii caramba!

The world finals recently were good craic as well! Fascinating. Amazing tactics and skill required. Fitness paramount of course.

I've recently caught the Daily Walk bug... seen it so much on social media in recent years, so when someone sent me an invite, I dive right in to see what all the fuss is about... as you can see from my Twitter post this morning, I'm on day 35 day streak. So far I don't really feel the benefits, but hey ho, the gamification is awesome, I'm always #1 in the rankings and apparently it could take up to 266 days before such benefits become reality... reversing many years of poor eating habits and what not takes time.

If anyone wants to try it out (the English version is exemplary!!) then feel free to do so (and help me gain a badge. Hehe!)

Andy invites you to join Ommetje. Use this friends code KTD 441 during the registration process and receive extra XP for your first walk.

Download at www.hersenstichting.nl/ommetje

ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).gif

Like # people like this
Saralie S.
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 4, 2022

I just started 2 new hobbies! What an awesome question

1. Hitting the gym- I get anxious in particular social situations, but as one of my 2022 goals, I told myself I would at least make an attempt before dismissing it completely. Now I like it! Going to just stay active, especially WFH. 

giphy

2. Google restaurant reviews- I love to support local shops and such, and have always wanted to be a sort of local guide. Especially for hidden gems or hole-in-the-wall places. 

giphy

Like # people like this
Ian Londesbrough August 5, 2022

Building Lego again at the age of 55, I started with the James Bond 007 DB5 :-)DB5.jpgDB5 Front.jpgDB5 Back.jpg

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2022

Sweet guys! Thanks for sharing.

P.s. I am playing Pickleball at lunch today with my group :)

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2022

This one is not a NEW hobby per-se, but a twist on an existing one.

I have been an avid cyclist for the past six years, but my wife was not. She recently got more into cycling herself though. Since she is a school teacher she has off for the summer and tries to get out 4-5 mornings a week for a 20-25 mile ride along the Far Rockaway Boardwalk or the estates in Back Lawrence-Hewlett Harbor (both within minutes of our home).

When my schedule permits I join her. It may be slower and shorter than my normal group rides with the local cycling club, but it's always more enjoyable!

IMG_0932.jpg

Like # people like this
Navella Kunitz August 5, 2022

@Ian Londesbrough Make sure to share a pic of the finished product!

Like # people like this
Ian Londesbrough September 29, 2022

I finally finished it @Navella Kunitz 

4630A7EA-6B01-4D7D-A3A3-FC333325F6BE.jpeg

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2022

Soccer and padel :)

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2022

I play batmanten 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Sayed Bares [ServiceRocket]
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2023

I just started cycling again after 10 years :) 

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2023

I haven't started anything new recently, but I'm looking forward to giving Pickleball a try soon. My husband and I did join a gym earlier this year and the most recent activities I've added to my week are spin class and boxing! It's been a lot of fun to mix up my usual workouts.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events