Throwback Thursday: What is some of the craziest things you’ve done? #TBT

It's Thursday!

giphy

New year with new opportunities. Opportunities to do something crazy (within reason of course). One can, obviously, do extend the comfort zone on any day of the year but beginning of the year is a great time since the year is fresh and all :)

giphy

The picture below is taken 14th of March in 2014 in Iceland. I started ocean swimming in August of 2013, when the ocean was at its warmest). Took a big of courage and thinking before my first time. Then every time I went (about 1x week), I asked myself "why, oh why am I doing this? But sure felt good getting into the hot tub afterwards :) Unfortunately, I did not record the temperature of the ocean but it was below 1°C (so just about 32°F). If you notice the flag in the left corner, it is standing straight out because of the wind... This is probably pretty high on my personal crazy scale. Some grandma tourist from Holland happened to be walking around when I came out of the locker room and asked for a photo. 

14 mars 2014.jpg

What is some of the craziest things you’ve done? Or just any old crazy/silly thing :)

Let’s make it a great Thursday!

KGM

9 comments

Comment

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck January 20, 2022

I think probably the craziest thing I've done was my "long lonely walk" :þ

In 1998 or so I lived in Helsinki for a summer through a program called Nordjobb where youths can apply to work in a different Nordic country for the summer.

During this summer I went with another Nordjobber to a concert in Espoo where this girl was renting and I'd asked her if I could stay the night after the concert.

Well, we had a falling out and I found myself "homeless" at the Espoo train station having just missed the last evening train and with eight hours to wait until the first morning train to Helsinki.

So I walked. 

From Espoo to Helsinki without a clue where I was going. My logic? I just follow the train tracks! 

Long story short I made it to Helsinki just in time to see the first morning train roll out of the station XD 

But it was a warm summer night in Finland and I enjoyed it very much. I'd totally do it again. :þ

Like # people like this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2022

I went to a music festival alone!  I had already been 4 times before with friends so I felt safe :) I had a blast

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2022

I'm pretty risk-averse, so nothing I do really falls under my own definition of crazy. I am sure I did some things in my youth that my parents or friends classified as crazy, but I've either repressed those memories or they were not as crazy as anyone thought.

That being said, at 16 years old I had a gun held to my head by a drunk and high 18 year old that was looking for one of my friends that had recently humiliated him in public. I knew that the gunman didn't know who I was and lied through my teeth about where he lived and what his name was. I was probably a bit over confident that the gun was not real (at 16 I was not an avid reader of Guns & Ammo) but risked it to spare my friend. Once the 'gunman' realized the guy he was looking for was nowhere nearby he lowered the gun and walked away. 

I have-not thought about that night in 27 years.

? Thanks @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ?

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2022

@Andy Gladstone  oh, ups... I hope the recollection of this incident will not cause any permanent trouble to your soul... That is a bit scary!

@Kristin Lyons you brave - go girl!

@Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck that is 20+ km! Quite the walk... Glad you made it safe back!

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2022

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen Thanks for a nice post again!

I really do not remember the crazy things I have done during my school or college days, but I do remember one incident during my first job as an IT professional in Mumbai, India.

Just to have some fun and celebrate our new jobs, my friends and I walked through the streets of a nice suburban market area in Mumbai, drinking on the streets openly around midnight, especially when it was not allowed to drink in public places there and the police was too strict about that. But, just to reduce the risk of being caught we mixed the hard drinks into bottles of soft drinks or soda pops and pretended to be drinking soft drinks.

Have a nice weekend!

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2022

@Taranjeet Singh  good one :) Thanks for commenting. You also have a great weekend!

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

Oooh... this is a MOST interesting topic....! 🥳 I'm was not sure where to start, but it defo involves categories now:

PERSONALLY - Made every wrong decision when it  came to career... I wanted to do writing, theatre, songwriting, music, muscials... pretty crazy how I have continually F'd it up year in year out for 20yr+ #Yeet

SCHOOL - Loads & loads of NSFW stuff so can't write it here. All boys private school. I got wild stories. #SoggyCookie. #FirstTimes #Etc. There was this one hilarious time though we were messing about outside school: a mate through a rock at my head, I ducked and it went through the biology window massive style. The best part was, as we sprinted off hoping no one saw us, he was screaming "WTF did you duck!?" 🪨🦆🤣

PROFESSIONALLY - It has to be this epic moment I shared with @Monique vdB 👑 3 and a half years ago right here on Community. It would be quite some time before the name came about (Dankeschön @Fabienne Gerhard 🙏❤️) but that moment in OCT 2018 was the birth of the FUN MAN! 🤩🩲🤿 Doesn't get any more crazy than that!

Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 06.53.41.png

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

@Fun Man Andy  is upping the game by introducing categories to the question - well done! Thanks for sharing. 2 funny - why did you duck?!  :)

And happy Friday, everyone! Break fast for me...

giphy

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

Happy Friday!!!! Enjoy the breaking of your fast 🍳🥓

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events