switch from jira server to cloud, how secure is my data in the cloud

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2020

Unfortunately, we have to do this step in the next years

Important changes to our server and Data Center products
We’re making changes to our server and Data Center products, including the end of sale for new server licenses on February 2, 2021 and the end of support for server on February 2, 2024

https://www.atlassian.com/migration/cloud/why-atlassian-cloud 

Atlassian products are designed to protect your users' privacy. We commit to meeting the highest bar for personal data privacy and support your organization in meeting data privacy obligations around the world like GDPR.

--> what, when I don't trust this?
I am the jira admin and I would be the one responsible if something happes with our company data (currently, the IT is responsible because they host our jira server and all the company internal network stuff).
I don't want to read all this privacy stuff and also I dont understand all of it.

We don't want to have our data in a cloud somewhere

4 comments

Comment

Kurt Klinner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2020

@Alexander Pappert 

Hi Alexander

one option if you would like to stay on premise would be to evaluate if switching to data center instead of server could be an approach (although this might come with an cost increase)

if you should choose the cloud hosting option, check for the different tiers and what they offer toward data residency

For the trust related topics (you mentioned already the privacy part), https://www.atlassian.com/trust is the general starting point

All the best

Kurt

Like # people like this
Kris G _Alacriz_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2020

@Alexander Pappert

I know it's not a happy situation to be in, you're not alone. 

While Atlassian has done tremendous amount of home work in moving to Cloud, https://www.atlassian.com/trust is where you can get your concerns addressed in terms of all regulatory frameworks being followed, blah blah. But this option certainly needs to be run through your company's legal department as you as a techie cannot own responsibility for what happens in Cloud hosting.

However, in case it helps, here is a good starter guide <https://thejiraguy.com/2019/12/11/jira-data-center-support-systems/> to move to Data Center by @Rodney Nissen.  

I hope that helps.

best,
Kris 

Like # people like this
pas.argenio December 17, 2020

I attempted to comment and could not. Had to join the group first.

Then I couldn't find this thread again for the next hour. I hate computers.

Yes, why would I want my precious data in a cloud somewhere? A few days ago, MFA and OWA were both hacked. This is just another in a long series of breaches. I work in ICS, so it would be difficult & non-secure to open our system to the internet from the air-barrier we have now. This is likely a HUGE market that is underserved. EVERYONE assumes you have internet access, from Microsoft updates/authentication to Linux yum. We are the forgotten. Atlassian at least offers the server version, but you have to manually disable the internet accesses, like Marketplace.

Like Alexander Pappert likes this
Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2021

Hi @Alexander Pappert I'm not sure if this directly answers your question, but we recently announced that data residency will be included in our Standard and Premium cloud plans later this year, in addition to our Enterprise plan, giving you an option to choose where your primary product data is hosted. Currently the geographies available are US and EU.

To learn more and sign up for updates, visit our page here. You can also view our documentation to learn more about how it works and what data is covered.

To see what else we're working (like additional geographies and functionality) related to data residency, visit our cloud roadmap here

Like Alexander Pappert likes this
pas.argenio March 9, 2021

As long as it's not in Texas!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events