Sign up for the Early Access Program of the revamped Backup & Restore for Confluence & Jira!

Hello everyone! Coming back to this group on the latest updates on the Early Access Program for Confluence & Jira Backup/Restore.

We’re very happy to announce that we have released the ability to do a full backup and full restore for Confluence and Jira Software (JSW) via a command line interface to an S3 location.

We will continue to have the command line interface to a local storage location for existing customers who signed up for it earlier. However, please note, we’re working on improving the overall reliability of this solution and this point in time, we will waitlist new customers requesting the download of local storage solution.

Please scroll down for more details and the link to sign up!

minions-yay.gif

Backup and Restore Overall Update

As a lot of you may be aware, we’ve been on the journey of overhauling the backup & restore experience for our Jira and Confluence cloud products, starting with an emphasis on increased reliability and performance. We have done this in stages, largely because some features require us to ensure that other features are working as expected.

The features released so far :

• Confluence Full Backup and Full Restore CLI (backup stored in local storage)

• Confluence selective (space level) Restore CLI (backup stored in local storage)
  • Jira Software (JSW) Full Backup and Full Restore CLI (backup stored in local storage)

The features planned to be released on Aug/16:

• Confluence Full Backup and Full Restore (backup stored in S3)

• Confluence selective (space level) Restore CLI (backup stored in local storage)
  • Jira Software (JSW) Full Backup and Full Restore (backup stored in S3)

Features in pipeline (dates yet to be established)

• Features available on JSM, JWM and JPD also

• An incremental backup for faster backup

• More granular restore

• APIs

• New UI for Backup and Restore

In the next few months, we will also start rolling out the above released features for more general availability on JSW and Confluence cloud products.

How the Early Access Program works

Please take every precaution necessary to protect your backup on your network / S3 storage.

On the signup form, we ask for a couple of items

1. the email address you use to login to your Atlassian product.

2. The site/sites you will test this against.

3. What products you have that you would like to test against.

4. And your current administrative level. This does require you to be a minimum of a Site admin, in order to run the backup.

From there, we will go through and select a number of testers. We will be selecting a variety of different instance types, in terms of the amount of data you are storing on your site. So we need all types!

If selected, we will email you a link to join our closed EAP community group, where you will have access to the new CLI, documentation, and have a place to ask questions and provide feedback directly to myself and the engineers.

Use this link to signup for early access, which includes reading and acknowledging our early access program disclaimers:

https://surveys.atlassian.com/jfe/form/SV_5gyyB31aoNkSnX0

Also for more discussion on backup and restore specifically - please join this community group: 

Backup and Restore 

Expectations and Asks of you

Firstly, thanks a lot for your patience through the long running EAP through these many quarters. Your continuous help and support has definitely helped us a lot.

We are looking for really active participants, who are willing to test the functionality, usability, scale, and performance of this new experience. Our hope is to continue building this new experience alongside you.

As we add new features, our hope is that you will download the new versions of the experience, test it out, and provide your feedback, bug reports, and questions. We’ll also want to hear about what you think is missing, and what else you’d like to see from us for each iteration.

Please note, since the full backup and full restore capabilities are now available via CLI as well as S3, should you like, we are happy to discuss BAU (business as usual) usage for this tool, once you test it to your satisfaction.

Cheers,

Steven

20 comments

Comment

Bryan Guffey April 27, 2022

Hey Steven - I tried to send a request to join the backup & restore group that you out a link to and it wouldn't let me! 

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

@Steven Bao This sounds very interesting - a new Backup & Restore Experience for Confluence & Jira!

1. Is it only for Cloud products, or DC products as well?

2. Does Backup & Restore CLI here mean "Command Line Interface" for Backup & Restore instead of Backup & Restore using the UI?

3. What is going to be the major difference in the previous & new backup & restore experience? CLI, new UI or just the reliability & performance?

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2022

Hey @Bryan Guffey - what error are you seeing?

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2022

@Taranjeet Singh 

1. Just for cloud.

2. Correct, currently in EAP it is in a command line interface while we gather feedback on the functional features. Replacing the current backup manager UI with this revamped backup/restore is in the backlog.

3. Focus is reliability and performance at scale - backup will now be much more granular - for example for Confluence - users/groups, global data, and space data in separate folders. This will also enable more control for restore - instead of the complete overwrite today, users will be able to restore a subset of spaces for example.

Like Taranjeet Singh likes this
Danny Fast April 28, 2022

Your request to join was sent April 18, 2022

You will receive a notification if your request is approved.
Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2022

@Danny Fast @Bryan Guffey - backlog of requests has been approved! Strangely I wasn't getting the emails for the past week - I'll follow up on this. Thanks!

Like Bryan Guffey likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

Thanks you for the clarification, @Steven Bao !

So, EAP is for testing Backup & Restore in CLI mode, but when the new Backup & Restore Feature will be finally rolled out for all cloud users, it will be in UI mode. Am I right?

Bryan Guffey April 28, 2022

@Steven Bao  - whatever it is, it's gone now! When should we get an email if we are accepted into the EAP? :-)

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2022

@Taranjeet Singh - end state will be UI, TBD whether we'll make it more widely available (public beta) as CLI.

Like Taranjeet Singh likes this
Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2022

@Bryan Guffey thanks for signing up - we are looking to do another round of invites as we roll out Confluence Restore to EAP which will be within the quarter :) 

Like Bryan Guffey likes this
wouter.vandenberg April 29, 2022

Thanks for this! Tested this on one of our test instances. As described the Jira part is in Progress but the Confluence one gave me some results I am not too sure about. See below image. EDIT: I understand we have to wait until we can restore the data to check these files. The attachment file is tested after checking the meta information and looks good. 

Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 13.12.36.png

Like Steven Bao likes this
Ammar Ahmed Butt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2022

Done!

Milo G May 3, 2022

@Steven Bao Could you continue approving requests to join?  I've sent mine on April 28th.  Re-requested today.  thank you

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
May 3, 2022

@Milo G done!

Like Milo G likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2022

@Steven Bao - FYI just sent a request - feel free to approve anytime!

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

Thank you for your response to my last question, @Steven Bao !

Vincent Synan July 26, 2022

Hi @Steven Bao  - I would very much like to join the community.
Covering on behalf of the UK Consumer Champion organisation  - Which?

Thanks,
Vince

Lead Delivery Manager,
which.co.uk

alexbartok October 14, 2022

@Steven BaoHi Steven, are you still accepting testers or am I too late? At any rate, I did fill out the form.

I would be interested in running automated backups of our freshly migrated site.

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2022

Hey @alexbartok apologies for the late response, I was on leave. We take a look at submissions on a rolling basis every few weeks, you will get an email if selected.

Cheers,

Steven

Sebastian Pechhold October 20, 2023

Hey - any updates on this automation?

Just went through the survey to get access. But isn't it possible with 3rd party apps already?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events