Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sign up for the Early Access Program of the revamped Backup & Restore for Confluence & Jira!

Hello, everyone! I'm excited to return to the group and share the latest developments regarding our new backup and restore Admin UI experience early access program (EAP) for Jira Software & Confluence. We started rolling out the feature to a select group of customers as part of our EAP and will gradually open up the feature in beta over the next quarter and a half.

minions-yay.gif

We are committed to continuing to have the command line interface to a local / S3 storage location for existing customers who were enrolled for it as of before Feb/15. However, at this point, we have paused taking new enrolments for CLI EAP. With the goal of eventually migrating all customers to our new backup and restore tooling, which will be available in Atlassian Administration (admin.atlassian.com).

A look back at the last 12 months

As many of you know, we’ve released a ton of new backup and restore functionality in the last year:

• Full backup and restore CLI (backup stored in local storage) for Confluence and Jira Software

• Selective restore CLI (backup stored in local storage) for Confluence

• Full backup and restore (backup stored in S3) for Confluence and Jira Software

• Selective restore CLI (backup stored in local storage) for Confluence

In response to your feedback, we’ve strengthened our offering and decided to launch full backup and restore functionality in Atlassian Administration (admin.atlassian.com). This new feature set will:

1. Separate backup and restore functionality from download/export and upload/import tooling.

2. Store backups in Atlassian-owned storage for up to 14 days, allowing you to restore them with a single click—without the need for uploading or importing the backup on your part. We are particularly excited about this capability, as we anticipate it will greatly enhance both the speed and reliability of operation completions.

3. Include incremental media (attachment backups) that allow for faster and more accurate subsequent backups

4. Allow you to download and export backups to an Amazon S3 location of your choice.

Additionally, we are actively developing APIs that you can utilize to construct automation/scheduling functionalities from your end. More on this soon from my colleague as she is gearing up to get this going!

The new features will be launched behind a few guardrails, which we shall be publishing more details on soon.

Upcoming Plans (dates to be established)

As we continue to work on our roadmap for 2025+, we are exploring a number of new capabilities:

• Backup and restore support for Jira Service Management Assets and other products

• Incremental backups (delta backup from the previous backup) for faster RPOs

• Granular restore (space level, project level etc) functionality

• Experience improvements on admin.atlassian.com

For more discussion on backup and restore specifically - please join our community group: 

Backup and Restore  

Cheers,

Lakshmi Manasi Behl

25 comments

Comment

Bryan Guffey April 27, 2022

Hey Steven - I tried to send a request to join the backup & restore group that you out a link to and it wouldn't let me! 

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

@Steven Bao This sounds very interesting - a new Backup & Restore Experience for Confluence & Jira!

1. Is it only for Cloud products, or DC products as well?

2. Does Backup & Restore CLI here mean "Command Line Interface" for Backup & Restore instead of Backup & Restore using the UI?

3. What is going to be the major difference in the previous & new backup & restore experience? CLI, new UI or just the reliability & performance?

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2022

Hey @Bryan Guffey - what error are you seeing?

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2022

@Taranjeet Singh 

1. Just for cloud.

2. Correct, currently in EAP it is in a command line interface while we gather feedback on the functional features. Replacing the current backup manager UI with this revamped backup/restore is in the backlog.

3. Focus is reliability and performance at scale - backup will now be much more granular - for example for Confluence - users/groups, global data, and space data in separate folders. This will also enable more control for restore - instead of the complete overwrite today, users will be able to restore a subset of spaces for example.

Like Taranjeet Singh likes this
Danny Fast April 28, 2022

Your request to join was sent April 18, 2022

You will receive a notification if your request is approved.
Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2022

@Danny Fast @Bryan Guffey - backlog of requests has been approved! Strangely I wasn't getting the emails for the past week - I'll follow up on this. Thanks!

Like Bryan Guffey likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

Thanks you for the clarification, @Steven Bao !

So, EAP is for testing Backup & Restore in CLI mode, but when the new Backup & Restore Feature will be finally rolled out for all cloud users, it will be in UI mode. Am I right?

Bryan Guffey April 28, 2022

@Steven Bao  - whatever it is, it's gone now! When should we get an email if we are accepted into the EAP? :-)

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2022

@Taranjeet Singh - end state will be UI, TBD whether we'll make it more widely available (public beta) as CLI.

Like Taranjeet Singh likes this
Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2022

@Bryan Guffey thanks for signing up - we are looking to do another round of invites as we roll out Confluence Restore to EAP which will be within the quarter :) 

Like Bryan Guffey likes this
wouter.vandenberg April 29, 2022

Thanks for this! Tested this on one of our test instances. As described the Jira part is in Progress but the Confluence one gave me some results I am not too sure about. See below image. EDIT: I understand we have to wait until we can restore the data to check these files. The attachment file is tested after checking the meta information and looks good. 

Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 13.12.36.png

Like Steven Bao likes this
Ammar Ahmed Butt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2022

Done!

Milo G May 3, 2022

@Steven Bao Could you continue approving requests to join?  I've sent mine on April 28th.  Re-requested today.  thank you

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
May 3, 2022

@Milo G done!

Like Milo G likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2022

@Steven Bao - FYI just sent a request - feel free to approve anytime!

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

Thank you for your response to my last question, @Steven Bao !

Vincent Synan July 26, 2022

Hi @Steven Bao  - I would very much like to join the community.
Covering on behalf of the UK Consumer Champion organisation  - Which?

Thanks,
Vince

Lead Delivery Manager,
which.co.uk

alexbartok October 14, 2022

@Steven BaoHi Steven, are you still accepting testers or am I too late? At any rate, I did fill out the form.

I would be interested in running automated backups of our freshly migrated site.

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2022

Hey @alexbartok apologies for the late response, I was on leave. We take a look at submissions on a rolling basis every few weeks, you will get an email if selected.

Cheers,

Steven

Sebastian Pechhold October 20, 2023

Hey - any updates on this automation?

Just went through the survey to get access. But isn't it possible with 3rd party apps already?

HAEGELIN Sacha April 2, 2024

Hi @Steven Bao ,

We are actively working in migrating our Jira and confluence server to the cloud, but according to the support,  the current backup/restore are not working for our amount of data when I tried to make a test.

Would it be possible possible to get a call with you to get a better understanding of those new features and check if it fit to our needs? and what would be the timeline we could expect to see the feature available for testing?

I made a request to join EAP a few time ago but never got any feedback :-(
Please help us to migrating in the cloud!

Best regards

HAEGELIN Sacha

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2024

Hi @HAEGELIN Sacha , I'm no longer on this project - @Lakshmi Behl should be able to help!

Lakshmi Behl
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2024

Hello @HAEGELIN Sacha , Could you please drop me an email on lbehl@atlassian.com and we can find time to go over the issues you're facing? Thanks!

Dusty Brossart April 2, 2024

Hi there,

I'd like to join the EAP - how do I go about doing that?

Thanks!

-Dusty

Nijas Rawther April 2, 2024

How do we join the EAP ? @Lakshmi Behl 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events