removing guest from all boards

Elizabeth Howard November 29, 2021

I am trying to remove a guest from multiple boards. I found instructions here https://help.trello.com/article/1123-multi-board-guests. The instructions say:

"You can change a multi-board guest to a single-board guest by visiting the “members” tab under the Workspace settings and selecting the boards link next to the “Add to Workspace” button for that user. That link will show a menu with links to each board the member is collaborating on. From there, you can either select the board you’d like to remove them from, or you can remove them directly from the board if you already have it opened."

However, when I click their name under guests and use the drop-down to view which boards they are on, there is no option to remove them. I also tried to click their avatar in the individual boards but again, no option to remove them showed up. 

They were previously an admin and were removed as such so they only show up as a guest now but when I click the boards they are a guest on it still says (admin) in parenthesis, not sure if that matters. I am also an admin. 

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Waite
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2021

Hey @Elizabeth Howard - I think we need more info to solve this one. 

First off, can you send through a screenshot of what you're seeing on the guests section of the members page of your workspace? 

Second, can I ask why you're trying to demote the user from a multi-board guest to a single-board guest? The tutorial you've linked is more geared towards paid workspaces, as multi-board guests are billable users in paid workspaces and single-board guests are not. I can see you're not a member of any upgraded workspaces. 

You're probably better off going to each board that this user is a member of and removing them if you have the access to do that. The tutorial for that is https://help.trello.com/article/742-removing-people-from-a-workspace

Third, if the guest is an admin on any boards in the workspace, you won't be able to remove them unless you are also an admin of that same board. Workspace guests can be admins on boards in the workspace they are a guest of, just as they can be members of boards, this is mutually exclusive to their membership status to the workspace. 

If you want to make this change easier, I recommend starting a 14-day free trial of Premium on this workspace, which should make you an admin. Premium workspace admins have increased admin capabilities which allow them to make changes like this easier, including removing users from boards even if these users are admins of the boards. You can start a free trial at https://trello.com/free-trial

Elizabeth Howard November 30, 2022

Hi Alex, our work team uses the spaces to manage our projects and we all use our work emails. The user "Sofia" that was previously an admin is no longer with the organization so no longer uses the board and and their email is deactivated so they cannot log in to change permissions, which is why I am trying to take them off.

I tried using your instructions and signed up for the 14 day premium trial and to remove them individually form each board but I could not. When I pull the drop down box in the board, all options are greyed out. When I go to the workspace to remove from all boards it says she is still the only admin on the board I am trying to remove her from and there must be one admin...even though I am an admin. Please see the screenshots below.

Can someone help me on the backend by manually taking the user off? I have been struggling with this off and on for months. Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events