attachments / images moving

Rob_ October 5, 2020

We could really really really use the ability to drag image attachments across boards and/or copy/move.  Any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2020

If its attached to a card, images move with the card.

If you are after one that is on a card to add to another, save it to a temp directory, or your my doc's, then pick it up from there.  I have a standard temp quick access one always open in my windows explorer, and where I drop any download ... computer remembers it each time.

Moving documents between boards ... you dont even have it between cards.

But Trello is about task management, if your after document management, set up a card for each document.  Then you can also add fields for revision, approval status, tasks to fix the document, list of items needed in the document etc.

Rob_ October 5, 2020

Thanks for reply.  I have been doing what you have suggested, but find it to still be inefficient.  I have over 20 boards with probably 500 cards per board.

Easily moving docs/images between cards and boards would be godsend.  The logic is very simple and similar to moving cards to other boards, except you would need to also be able to specify the card name.

Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2020

My boards are probably 200 cards, but I set the initial images in the template I create from.

Then, its only project specific images and its just once on a card ... if the card applies to two items, then it should be two cards.

If projects overlap, then they need to be in a combo board.

Ideally, it goes to the whole principal of referencing ... you should only have the information in one place, once.  Its so if you forget to change one place, the info doesnt stay and remain there wrong ... or needing to go hunt for the other occurrence (if there, needle in a haystack).

Break the tasks and boards down to smaller ... if you need to make more cards, do.  Otherwise the cards have too many variables.  Hence the ability that if a check list item becomes a card in its own right, it can.

To some, more cards is unmanagable, but to others, more cards means easier.  The phrase less is more only applies to the content on the cards, not the number of cards.

Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2020

Just thought, see if there is a powerup.  That might be your real option ... consider using zapier if a powerup is not available ... creating custom actions might just be what you need.

I tend to not, but you might find it does.  Butler is another option, but I'm not ofay with butler as havent researched it as dont realy have the need, but have considered zapier for cross application use and probably be no different to transferring it between apps, just your actually transferring it back on the same app, just elsewhere.

Box ... see the outside ... and go back but a different seat.

Rob_ October 6, 2020

Thanks guys.  I have looked at Butler and Zapier.  They will both work but kinda lack the "on the fly" feature I am looking for. 

I will try to find out a real-life example and post back.

Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2020

Pretty much the "on the fly" would be right click move to or copy to ... but right click doesnt work as its reserved for browser functions, so our left with a hamburger dot in the top corner like ... more is.

The ability to drag between, really, aint going to happen ... you need to have two of them open, and thats not the way it goes.

Sometimes, you need to change your working practices to suit the tools at your disposal.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events