Why email notification not send when card created via API?

Evgeny Tarasenko November 21, 2020

I've subscribed to board events and get notification when somebody create, comment card, e.t.c.

Now I've try to add some integration and create cards via REST API from separate account created specific for this purpose. Card successfully created by REST API call, but I don't receive email notification about that. Is it expected behavior or a bug? How can I fix it?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2020

That is not the expected behaviour. Creating or updating a card via the web interface or the REST API are the same as far as Butler is concerned, and you should receive an email notification for either.

Double-check the rules in the Butler command that is responsible for sending the email notification or your email notification settings if you are watching a board / list.

Thank you for the quick response! I'll glad to provide any addition information which will help to reproduce this issue.

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2020

Can you clarify what you mean by "subscribed to board events". What is the mechanism that is sending you those emails. Is it...

1. A Butler rule

2. Trello's 'watch' feature on the board / a list

3. Something else

I've double tested scenarios 1 and 2 and they both work as expected when a card is created or updated via the REST API.

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

2nd case, I subscribed to the board with "Watching" button. 

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2020

OK, then can you do some basic testing.

1. If someone else creates a card on the board via the web interface, do you receive an email notification?

2. If you login to the web interface with the account you're using for the REST API calls and create a card on the board via the web interface, do you receive an email notification?

3. Did you double-check your email settings to make sure the frequency is set to 'immediate' for the notifications?

1. Unfortunately today is a day off and I don't want to bother colleagues (think that second question result cover this case)
2. Yes, if I login in to the web interface with account used for REST call and create card I get email notification. Also I notice that now action appear in "Activity" list, but it was not happens after REST API call creation
3. Yes it set to 'Immediate'

Oh, sorry. It's my bad, looks like that need some time to send notification, but it was test creations and and I'm too early archive/delete cards. When I wait for a minute I've receive notification. 
Excuse for troubling.

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2020

No problems. Yes, sometimes it's the little things like time delays that catch you out :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events