Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Butler not see my checklist?

Zack Arnold February 12, 2021

Created an automation that when a card (created from a check list) due date is changed to completed. The card will be moved to "completed list"  Then tics (checks) off the item in the check list where the card was created.

Butler does not see my check list name.
I have gone into the checklist and copied the name to past later in the script.
Also I have used for "item"  {cardname} , {cardlink} , Actual item .

Am i missing something?  or is butler broken?  First half of script works! Butler can create a linked card from that check list?board view 1.PNGbutler code.PNGParent card .PNGboard view 2.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2021

@Zack Arnold you have to create a linked card, then when you want to check off the item on the parent card you first have to find the first card linked in the description, you can see a similar implementation here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Subtasks-with-Butler/ba-p/1060392

Zack Arnold February 15, 2021

@Iain Dooley 

So I solved the issue with your pointers. Trello now when you create a Card from a Link will keep that link.  So I didn't need to do that step in the creation.

In this case someone can make the task as "Complete" which will tick the check list . But leaves the card in the list to be moved my supervisor after inspecting the work.

Here's a Screen shot of that.

Thanks Again Zack

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2021

@Zack Arnold 

Your current card is set on the trigger card while the item is on Master Electrical card.

Zack Arnold February 13, 2021

@milynnus  New to Trello and just not tracking yet.

The Parent - Master Electrical
                                   Has a Checklist "Electrical Master Checklist"
                                                  3-Items in it.
When each of those items were created in the checklist Butler Created a "linked" card

Now in list "ELECTRICAL"
 there's 4 cards.
Electrical Master -parent
   Design Electrical Control Panel (linked)
   Order Parts (linked)
   Assy Panel (linked)

What I want to accomplish is:
When I check "Completed" on due Date of Card "Design Electrical Control Panel"

The Checklist item within "Electrical Master" card (Electrical Master Checklist) is also checked done. 

Then Card is moved to another list.

How would I script that in Butler?

Thanks for the help, and patient with a new guy :)

Zack

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2021

@Zack Arnold 

Going by your original command show in your picture, I would insert a find card titled... Electrical Master. Try it

Zack Arnold February 13, 2021

@milynnus 

Tried that suggestion.  The result was the same.  I even modified it so that the name of the checklist items was called out . Now just "checklist item 1"

I have noticed that once a checklist item has been converted to a card.  While the check list shows the original checklist item name which becomes name of the created card "cardname"  if you click into the check list item is converts that to something like this "https://trello.com/c/FEu3w63w"  Which looks like the card unique Identifier.

Still not functional.  Seems odd that a card created from a checklist link cant find the checklist it came from? Ive tried searching and surprised that I'm the first person trying to do this.

Heres a copy of the new rule created.

Any other suggestion? 
new butler script.PNG

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2021

@Zack Arnold 

when a card with a complete due date is moved into list "Up Next", find a card titled "Master Electrical" in list "Done", and check item "{triggercardname}" in checklist "Checklist"

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 10.14.15 AM.jpg

This is the idea behind it. You need to customise it to your actual setup

Zack Arnold February 14, 2021

I'm thinking there is an issue with Trello and "linked cards" created from a check list.

I re did the script many times. To test things I even added a portion to the script to to create a new card within the script . Did this to test that the script was finding the card and the check list.

The result is it errors and says it cant find {triggercardname} which is clearly the same as the card and the item in the checklist.

See attached photos. Im I missing  something here?

Photos
Result of the script
Line 2 Couldn't find a checklist item called "Test List Item 1"
2.PNG

Photo 2 of the card after script was run.

note 1st checklist item identical to Checklist item it couldn't find.
2nd checklist item was new checklist item (created at the end of the script) to test scripts ability to find card and checklist

3.PNG

Photo Board view
"TEST LIST ITEM 1" Is in competed list
another list item has been added 0/2
From another butler action - the card Script Complete was created from "Electrical master checklist"
1.PNG
Ive created quite a few other scripts successfully. Across multiple boards so I get the construction of the script.  But this does not seem to work.  Can someone fro Trello Support tell us if this is just not possible or why the error?

Thanks again for the patience and help

Zack

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2021

@Zack Arnold 

You need to be precise in the item matching ...using {triggercardname} is just an example. If your checklist item is [{triggercardname}]({triggercardlink}) using that would be necessary.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events