Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why aren't the replies to my emails showing up as comments on my Trello card?

Adrena McDonald September 17, 2020

Someone else asked a similar question to mine, but the only responses it had were for add-ons and power-ups. I'm just trying to get the functionality to work as designed!

If I forward an email to my Trello board, it works perfectly. A card is created, and the email is in the description. But any additional emails in that email thread do not show up as comments on the card as is indicated in the Trello support documentation as what should be happening.

Someone recommended that you add the Trello board email address in the BCC line of any email replies in the thread, but that is only causing me to end up with duplicate cards.

I have ensured that comments for the board are not disabled.

Anyone have any ideas what I might be missing?

2 answers

0 votes
Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2020

If you are sending in from not your account registered email address, using a address code from your login, it will bounce it as possible spam.

TBH, I always hit the forward button, and just cut and paste it so I can put it in manually as a comment.  Keeps the email footer and other litter to a minimum, but I can also highlight the right bit of the email in bold (put two astrisks either side of what you want to highlight) **Like this** and it will go bold.

Other tips and tricks, google MARKDOWN its a coding method of formatting that Trello uses.

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

@Adrena McDonald I've found the threading behaviour in Trello to be pretty haphazard. That's why I created BenkoBoard to use Trello as a Gmail client, but then you said you don't want to use any powerups or integrations ;)

Every card also has an email address, though, so worst comes to worse you could copy that and put it in the BCC of your replies.

You can't fetch that address using the API though, and you can't fetch it from the mobile app, so I always found this solution untenable also.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events