Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to show who is assigned to a card, when they are from an outside organization?

Rachael Stack August 20, 2018

I have cards on my board that are assigned to people outside of our organization, what is the best way to show that they own a task, if they do not use Trello?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2018

Hi Rachael

When you say that you have cards that are assigned to people outside the organization, what exactly does that mean? They're a member of the Trello board and you have them listed as a member of the card? Or you just have their name somewhere on the card as a visual that that's who is assigned?

Rachael Stack August 21, 2018

The people outside the organization do not have access to Trello.  If we have a card we are pending items from them on, or waiting on them before we can close out the card - I wasn't sure if there was a way to reflect that since they are not a member.  It would help if our board is being reviewed, it doesn't look like we are waiting on all these items from one person.

Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2018

I wasn't sure how your current setup is.  You said "cards assigned to people outside...".

Since the users don't have Trello, you cannot assign them to cards like you would assign a member of the board.

So I would recommend either using Labels or Custom Fields.

• With labels, you can add a label with the person's name and label the appropriate card.
  • With Custom Fields, you can create a field called "assigned to" or something, and type their name in it.'
Rachael Stack August 21, 2018

Apologies for the wording initially, I should have clarified that.

Thank you for the suggestions, I considered labels, I think Custom Fields may work better.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events