Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What board options do my Service Desk users have?

Samuel Wilkinson August 16, 2018

I want my service desk teams to be able to visualize their issues with more than counts and filter views on dashboards. What options do I have without paying for additional licensing? I didn't think boards themselves would require Jira Software licensing, but apparently I'm wrong. We're paying a ton for JSD licensing, but I can't visualize JSD issues on a board.

4 answers

2 votes
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2018

Hello @Samuel Wilkinson,

I'm afraid you can't use boards with JSD only (see evaluator resources):

Jira Service Desk does not ship with boards functionality. Boards are a feature that comes with Jira Software Cloud/Server and with Jira Core Cloud in the form of Jira Core boards.

I've just tried it on a JSD Cloud instance:

• I can add a board to a Business project;
  • I can't add a board to a Service Desk project.

I'd recommend to vote for this feature request: Allow Jira Core boards to be linked with Jira Service Desk and to watch it to be updated.

As of now, it looks like you'd have to use Jira Software to see your JSD issues on a board.

Hope this helps!

- Manon

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2018

@Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ & @Alexey Matveev, thank you both for your input here. Up to now I was under the impression that JSD was an app that included/leveraged Core which, as I understand, provides business and agility board support. Reading the article shared in the link and some ‘neighboring’ documents it appears that maybe that used to be the case but now JSD is fully standalone. In my case JSD was added to my existing JSW instance and as the work together it has ofine been a challenge to assess which application is providing a piece of functionality. 

This would seem to be an opportunity for a Community article. ;-)

thanks again for jumping in here and clearing this up for Jordan and me! 

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2018

I fully agree with you, I've always seen Jira Service Desk as Jira Core + Service desk features. I was pretty sure you could create a board under a JSD project, I made some tests after reading your discussion... :)

0 votes
Samuel Wilkinson August 20, 2018

What options does Trello give me in all this now that it is part of Atlassian?

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2018

As far as I know, Trello won't help you much. There is a free app to connect Jira Cloud with Trello but it only lets you create Jira issues from Trello cards, not the other way around. Looks like the app Autosync Jira with Trello by Unito would do the job but it is a paid add-on (see pricing here).

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2018

Hello,

Boards is a feature of Jira Software. Your users must have Jira Software licenses to use boards.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2018

@Samuel Wilkinson, you mention you can't visualize JSD issues on a board. So are you not able to create a kanban board for your JSD issues?

Samuel Wilkinson August 16, 2018

My JSD users can't view the board without a Jira Software license, even though none of the issues on the board are for Software projects, and the board belongs to me, not a project. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2018

so if you create a Kanban board from your JSD project  (create board from an existing project) and set the location to your profile can you not share it with you agents? I believe this should work since JSD rides on top of Jira Core and Jira Core provides the board functionality. Now you cannot create a board from a Software project of course.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events