Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding workspaces and board ownership - I have two accounts

Jo Evans December 1, 2021

I feel like there must be a simple answer to this but I can't seem to find it...

I have just set up a new account under a different email address as I would like to separate my personal board from my work/ project boards. So I set up the account, shared all of my work boards and made the new account an admin.

I'd now like to remove those work boards from my original account and run the two accounts very separately but they seem to be linked via a workspace. The maximum number of boards also seems to be shared between the two accounts, presumably because they share the workspace. How can I rectify this without losing the boards? I'm super nervous that removing the new account from the workspace, then deleting the boards from the original account will delete the boards altogether.

If the original owner of the board deletes it, is it then deleted from the other admin? 

Many thanks,

Jo

1 answer

1 vote
Andrea Crawford
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2021

Hi Jo, 

I'd suggest that you create a new workspace with your personal account. Then you would move the boards from your the shared workspace into the new workspace and remove  your work account from those boards (if you haven't already, you'll need to make your personal account an admin on the boards you want to keep as personal). At that point, you can remove your personal account from the original workspace

As you mention, you shouldn't delete any boards, or they will be permanently deleted, you just need to move them to a separate workspace. I've linked help articles above, let me know if this is helpful. 

Jo Evans December 1, 2021

Thanks Andrea, it would appear that you can only do this with a premium membership...? I may well upgrade within the next couple of months as I start to use Trello more but for the moment, it's not something I wish to do. Is there another way? Can you change ownership of a board?

Andrea Crawford
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2021

Which part requires a premium membership?  Yes you can change ownership of a board. The steps would be: 
- Start with the account that you want to remove from the board (work account?)
- Add the new account (personal account) to the board
- Change the personal account's membership to "admin" on the board
- Work account member can now leave the board and it's successfully transferred to the personal account. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events