Unable to open butler rules

Bradley Schiermeyer July 28, 2022

I am unable to open butler to create or edit rules in Trello.  When clicking any of the automation buttons the URL changes at the top but the screen does not change.  I am using Chrome but it also does the same thing in Edge.  I have tried reboot, logout/login, and a flush of cookies.  Am I missing something that I should be doing?  Thanks!  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nathan Smith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2022

Hi @Bradley Schiermeyer 

This definitely isn't what we'd expect to happen! Can you try following the below steps to make sure JavaScript is enabled in your web browser and see if that makes a difference?

1. Open Chrome
  2. Click on the ⋮ button in the top right corner 
  3. Click on Settings
  4. Select Privacy and security down the left side
  5. Click on Site settings
  6. Click on JavaScript
  7. Make sure Sites can use Javascript is enabled

Can you also then follow these steps to make sure cookies aren't being blocked:

1. Open Chrome
  2. Click on the ⋮ button in the top right corner 
  3. Click on Settings
  4. Select Privacy and security down the left side
  5. Click on Site settings
  6. Click on Cookies and site data
  7. Make sure Allow all cookies is enabled or make sure Trello.com is set to always use cookies
Bradley Schiermeyer August 8, 2022

Thank you for the response, @Nathan Smith.  Both JavaScript and cookies are enabled both globaly and for trello specifically.  The interesting thing is that I had to replace my computer due to another failure, and this issue followed to the new computer.  Thanks, again. 

Nathan Smith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2022

Hey @Bradley Schiermeyer 

That's interesting! Can you try accessing on a different computer on a completely different internet connection and see if you get the same thing happen?

Can you also try following the below steps on your computer to open the browser console, and then try loading the Butler window again and send over a screenshot of the browser console so we can see what happens when you try to load the Butler window:

1. Open your Trello board
  2. Right-click anywhere on the board and click Inspect
  3. On the popup that opens select the Console tab
Bradley Schiermeyer August 8, 2022

Ah, after looking at the console it appears that it is timing out while loading the iframe url for https://app.butlerfortrello.com/ and therefor fails to show anything.  It appears that there is an issue with this site in either our proxy or firewall that is causing this issue.  Thanks for your help in finding this!

Nathan Smith
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2022

Hey @Bradley Schiermeyer 

In that case I'd recommend reaching out to your IT admins to get them to make sure Trello's domains are allowlisted, here's a link with a list of all the domains that need to be allowed for Trello to work correctly - https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/configuring-your-firewall-for-trello/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events