• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Trouble syncing comments to a mirror card in a specific board

I have multiple copied cards on different boards to create individual exec boards and leadership boards from individual department boards.

I want to enable comments at the department level to update a specific card on a specific board. This is so that I don't end up with loops with comments being copied multiple times all around the various linked cards.

One way I have thought is to create a 'one-way' comment sync. Comments are synced from one card to another in a specific board, then from that one to another specific board etc.

I've added the following butler rule at the department board level:

when a comment is posted to a card by me, find a card titled "{cardname}" on board "Leadership", post comment "\"New comment on card {triggercardlink} by {username}: {commenttext}\"", and move the card to the top of the list

Problem is, the lf is saying it cannot find a card with the {cardname}, even though 100% its present. as when a card is created its copied over. Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley Community Leader Sep 01, 2020

@David Cornford I'm not sure specifically why your card isn't found in this case if you're sure the card exists, but you might find it more robust if you were to use either linked checklist items from one master card. You can loop through cards linked from a checklist item. Then each linked child card could have a link back to the parent in the attacahments.

When a comment is added to the master, it loops through all linked cards in it's checklist and posts the same comment, when a comment is added to a child card, it finds the first card linked in the attachments and posts a comment.

You can avoid loops by starting the parent -> child comments with something like "REPOST" and then you can add a condition that will only trigger when a comment is posted not starting with REPOST. The only thing I think you'll have to put up with is the fact that when you post a comment on a child card you'll see the same comment reposted seconds later because there's no way to do an "if" condition in the loop to check that the linked card id you're reposting to doesn't match the original trigger card id on which the comment was posted.

Thanks Mate, let me review that.

It actually looks like it is working now - so not sure what was happening. All fixed though!

Like Iain Dooley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

807 views 13 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you