Trigger off any mention of my name in checklist items

Joe Olsen December 5, 2018

Hi! I am trying to figure out a way to trigger (using Zapier preferably or Butler) anytime my name is mentioned in a checklist item.

I want to implement a process where someone can mention me in checklist item and it creates a task for me in another tool I am using (TBD).

I have tried looking through Zapier and the closest I can find for triggers are "Notifications" and "Activities". Notifications won't work because a notification is not triggered if I mention myself and  Activities won't work because there is no Activity Type for Checklistitem Update only updated state (on/off) or added/removed.

I tried Butler and the closest I can get is triggering off a checklist item added to make a put call to Zapier where I could presumably then do something with the payload.

This all seems incredibly complicated to simply trigger off a mention in Trello. If I could just trigger of a mention I could then look at what triggered it and the payload (presumably info about the list item)?

Anyone have any ideas? I am pretty new to Trello. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2018

@Joe Olsen the Butler scenario seems to be ideal, is your concern that you only get notified when a checklist item is added, or that you need to use Butler in conjunction with Zapier?

You can use Butler to send emails, so if TBD will accept a task via email you could just use Butler.

You may also find that Butler can trigger when a checklist item is updated, and if they don't already have that notification they might add it for you, they're pretty responsive.

The Butler command can analyse the contents of the checklist item name that was added (and presumably updated ... ) for example:

When a checklist item containing "blahblah" is added send email to "mytasks@tbd.com" with subject "{checklistitemname}" and body "Yo!"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events