Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello vs Jira for personal use

Katrina L. Coker January 21, 2022

Good afternoon. I am currently reviewing Trello and Jira for personal use. I have personal goals and action items that I want to be able to track and see at roadmap at a high-level. I will be the only user but intend to use it heavily, and I need something that can easily be accessible on my Android phone. 

I already have access to Trello for personal use but have the free account. 

Which tool will be best for my needs as listed above?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2022

Trello.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2022

Welcome to the Community!

Normally, I'd answer this sort of question with something that gets us to explore your usage a little bit more before we landed on one or the other as the better option for you.  

But your description is really clear, and I don't need to ask.  @Michael Pryor 's answer is exactly what I'd say too.  Your question is pretty much a good answer to the question "what did you write Trello for?"

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 23, 2022

Trello x10

Jira is a great collaboration tool, but to get it to work better than Trello for personal use would take a TON of effort on your part.  Trello out of the box for the win.

Like # people like this
Katrina L. Coker January 24, 2022

Thank y'all for your help. I added all of my goals and action items to both Trello and Jira to see which I prefer, and I think I actually like JIra better for what I'm trying to do, seeing the hierarchy of my goals in one swimlane and the action items/tasks in a second swimlane. I then color coded the jira cards to my themes/categories. 

Does Trello have the option for multiple swim lanes?

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2022

No, Trello does not have swim lanes. 

Like Katrina L. Coker likes this
Katrina L. Coker January 26, 2022

Thank you for confirming, Michael. I do use Trello as a personal Kanban board for my general tasks because I don't need swim lanes for that. 

Katrina L. Coker January 26, 2022

@[deleted] Thank you. I am a Scrum Master and use Jira every day, and for that reason, it actually wasn't much more work than adding things to Trello. The only big difference was creating the swimlanes and color coding cards, but since I already knew how to do those functions, it wasn't too much more work. And, the nerd me in loves that I was able to name the short project key to be my initials, so all the tickets start with KLC, and that just brings me so much joy! :)

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 28, 2022

It's always easy when you already know how :)

Glad it worked out for you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events