Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello non-existant user

Louise Rutland August 9, 2019

I'd like to have a non-existant user in Trello to represent a third party who won't have access to Trello to show tasks that need to be referred to another company.  I know I could use a label to do this but I'd like to put them on a card as a member like my internal project members.  Is this possible?

I've tried making a pretend invite and using my email address but Trello obviously knows that email user is a member.  I tried using the 'create link' option and managed to create a user with a dummy email address like mine (...2) but I can't link them to the board because they won't get an email to confirm the account.

Any other ideas or is a label the only option?

thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2019

Hi Louise!

Could you just create another email account, sign that account up for Trello, and then confirm the account by logging into that email?

My suggestion would be to set up a Gmail, too, so you can use the setup @Iain Dooley provided, using the + sign. That way you can use that one email for any other accounts you may create for outside organizations for your workflow.

Example:

abcbiz@gmail.com could be the email address you create, with "abcbiz" being the name of your company. Then you can use the + trick to create a unique address for each extra company you want to show in Trello. So you would create a new Trello account with:

abcbiz+othercompanyname@gmail.com, password is whatever you like

You then log into that original email (abcbiz@gmail.com) and confirm the account creation.

Let me know if that wasn't clear!

Louise Rutland August 13, 2019

Thanks @Devon Henderson  that did make sense, I'm trying to avoid using personal/other email.  

Looks like it needs to be a label.

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2019

@Louise Rutland if you use gmail you can create aliases from any address using the "+" symbol followed by any text. For example if your email address is:

louiserutland@gmail.com

you can send email to the same address with:

louiserutland+whatever@gmail.com

This can allow you to create as many Trello members as you want, and all the welcome and other notification emails etc. will come to your account.

Louise Rutland August 12, 2019

Thanks Iain but unfortunately we don't use gmail here.  :0(

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events