Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello no longer sending emails for tasks due?

Leszek August 17, 2021

I am recently trying to get back to Trello. I put a few cards with some due date and checked "remind me 2 days before".

Weeks later turned out i missed the thing (the due date was 2 days ago so i would be expecting a reminder 4 days ago). I plowed the my gmail and havent found any reminder sent by trello (last ones are from 2019), just the usual "newsletter" stuff. Also just noticed another card that was due in July hasnt had reminder email sent out either.

I checked following things from self-help:

- test notification (https://trello.com/test_notifications) works - i got the email

- My email notifications settings are set to "Instantly"

- I had not enabled desktop notification and do not use trello on mobile

- nothing from trello was sent to junk or trash

Am I missing something? Is the feature of sending reminders via email no longer supported?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2021

It's definitely still supported! I received emails today notifying me of a card due soon. Are you a member of the card or watching it? Do you see the notifications in Trello?

Leszek August 18, 2021

Hi @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows 

Thank you for reply.

In my notifications popup i dont see any notifications about my boards/workspace, its just empty.

No I am not a card member, neither watching it. I've "only" created those cards. It used to be enough to get the reminders, does it mean I have to manually add myself to every single card I create to get notification about them?

Thanks

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2021

@Leszek yes, it seems as though the reason you're not receiving notifications is that you're not a watcher/member of the card. It seems as though Trello doesn't automatically make you a card watcher even if you're the author of the card. Would you want to be notified of every card within that board? You can set up a Butler rule so that you automatically watch all cards, or just a subset. Here's what it would look like if you wanted to become a watcher of every card added to the board:

Screenshot 2021-08-19 092836.png

If you filter the trigger if you don't need to follow every card, e.g.
When a card is added to the board by me
When a card is added to lists x, y, z 
When a due date is set on a card
...etc...

Leszek August 18, 2021

Hi @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows ,

Looks like you were right. As soon as I "watch" something I am finally getting notifications for due date reminders.

Apart from buttler solution that you proposed, I think I found one more - I could simply "watch" the board. It is a bit annoying/counter-intuitive that I have to remember to do it for every board I create. Also seems it is something that changed in Trello within last 1-2 years, as I never had to do it before.

Well at least there is a workaround. Wish there was an option I could "watch" every board I create (or be a member of every card I create).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2021

Yes, I guess in most cases, you wouldn't want to be notified of every single card on the board. Assuming it's a shared board with lots of cards assigned to different people, you would typically only want notifications for the cards assigned to you. If you create a board dedicated to just your tasks, I can see why you would want to automatically be notified of every single card. So yeah, butler would be the only way to go at the moment if you'd like to automatically be a member/watcher of all cards without having to remember to watch the whole board. Could be a good request for the Trello team! I can see how this isn't the most intuitive :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events