Trello card to Google Sheet - does this exist?

JB March 3, 2022

Hi,

Many thanks in advance for any info...probably easier for me to walk through what I'm trying to achieve.

I want to centralise time spent on a card - request comes in, card moves to the 'in flight' stack, it's finished and then moved to the complete stack. In that card, I'd like to add some details - client, project, task (could be name of card), date, time spent. This then gets updated to a master spreadsheet that controls time tracking / billing etc.

Is this possible? Alternatively, is there a more elegant solution that doesn't require either an additional platform or a major change to that flow?

Cheers

J

4 answers

0 votes
Sam Dixon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 11, 2024

Yes! Unito's 2-way Google Sheets Trello integration is great! it’s much easier than the alternatives

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2022

@John Barnes welcome to the community!

I see other answers about the time in list piece, but if you're curious about getting data from Trello into a Google Sheet, you can do that with Zapier or PixieBrix.

JB March 3, 2022

Thanks Brittany. There may be an issue with the approach I've just tested which may also apply to Zapier / PixieBrix.

When I add custom fields to track 'hours spent', they are not pulled through to Google Sheets via Coupler.io.

My assumption at this point is that these third party connectors only recognised the default databased schema and not any custom / power ups.

Do you know if that's the case?

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2022

So i think you can recognize custom fields with Zapier: 

image.png

(theme is a custom text field i have on a board, and it looks like zapier is able to pull it in and send to a sheet)

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2022

@John Barnes 

If your card progression is in one direction, you can use this variable {cardminutesinpreviouslist} to capture the value when card is moved to “complete”. Do note that if a card re-enters “in flight” then into complete that variable will be for the time spent following the re-entry back into in flight. Should you need the total time spent then you need to look back at all the actions and compute the time spent. For this you will need to use the Trello api. 
To write Google sheet from Trello you can call an endpoint via http request. 

JB March 3, 2022

I've tried the connection through Coupler, it works great. However, I'm tracking time via a custom field which Coupler seems to not recognise.

0 votes
Robin Warren _Blue Cat Reports_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 3, 2022

Hi @John Barnes 

I wrote up the current state of Time Tracking options for Trello here https://www.bluecatreports.com/trello-reporting/time-tracking/

For data like client, project, task (could be name of card), date, time spent you could look to add custom fields to your cards. They're great :)

On the simple end of the spectrum a tool like Time in List can help with some basic tracking and includes an export option. 

Hope that helps :)

Robin

JB March 3, 2022

Hi Robin,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Some of the solutions look interesting but I don't think they are quite what I'm looking for.

I'll keep looking and see if there is a simple approach integrating cards with sheets.

Thanks again.

John

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events