Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello becoming unresponsive in Chrome.

plewis April 22, 2020

Please help. both my macs, running current operating systems and current versions of chrome. Trello is unusable, hangs every time and I get the message that page is unresponsive. Have cleared all caches multiple times and disabled all extensions. Also reinstalled chrome. Started to happen when Trello migrated to Atlassian. Have reverted to using Firefox for Trello which works fine. 

Please help,

Paul

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2020

@plewis weirdly I had this problem with a client recently and it appeared to be related to Atlassian accounts, but then it turned out there was just one list with heaps and heaps of cards in it. The page loaded fine until a user who had had any interaction with that list, was added to the board. It was definitely a crazy caching situation, and I couldn't quite pin it down, but then what ultimately resolved it was moving that super long list to a different "archive" board, then the main board was responsive again. Do you have a very large number of cards in any lists? (more than about 1,000)

plewis April 22, 2020

Hi Iain, I have one list with 309 cards, but we attach a lot of PDFs to those cards. I'll archive the list to another board and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

plewis April 23, 2020

Thank you Iain. I moved that list and the board become responsive again. Unfortunately, I still need access to that list and it is still broken, just in a different location. Our team regularly searches for information from past projects so I'll have to find another solution. I'd hate to resort to not adding PDF attachments to a list, that's a dealbreaker for me.  

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2020

@plewis If the performance suffers because you're adding PDF files directly to the cards you might prefer to add links to the files in Google Drive or similar. That would also probably make them better for searching: you'd be able to view by card, and also by more sophisticated search terms.

In fact, here's a Trellinator function I posted here about 5 months ago that downloads any file added to a Trello card into Google Drive, links the Drive file and removes the original:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/b500f5a367480fb258464f259df61eeb

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

I've also done stuff for my clients where they have a very long history (one list per day) and lots of cards in each list, and each month all the previous month's lists are moved to a new archive board, which is then linked to a card in an "Archive" list over on the right. Then whenever someone adds themselves as a member of one of those cards, they are automatically added to the linked board so they can look in it. This means that they don't have hundreds of boards clogging up their menu all the time, they can always go back and check what cards were created in a given month, and each board in question stays nice and snappy because each one doesn't have more than about 1,000 cards on it.

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
plewis April 24, 2020

This is excellent. We use Adobe Creative Cloud for all our work. I'll consider changing out workflow. I still have to figure our what to do with that bloated "done" list I moved!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events