Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello Server Version

Jan-Willem Scholten August 17, 2017

Because of security reasons, we don't have cloud versions of JIRA and Confluence but server versions

Do you have planned to launch a server version of Trello also?    

8 answers

3 votes
Leif Ericson August 21, 2018

+1

My company is working with different, regulated industries where a cloud solution simply doesen't cut in terms of contractual obligations, standards and other regulatory concerns that we are required to follow. Trello would only be viable for us if there was an on-premise version.

2 votes
Sandor Krisztian Andre May 10, 2018

+1

2 votes
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2017

Hey Jan-Willem

According to Q&A with Atlassian President Jay Simons, there are no immediate plans to create a server version of Trello

Q. 12. Are there timelines for Trello integrations with other Atlassian products? Is there going to be a Trello server version anytime soon? 

Answer:

Integrations are available now called Atlassian Power-Ups. We have no immediate plans to create a server version of Trello.

Jan-Willem Scholten August 17, 2017

Thanx for the answer.

That's a pitty!

My (German) company rejects Cloudsolutions, because of Dataprotection policy etc. Even the Enterprise Version I fear.

Is anyone recognizing this problem? I am looking forward to the argumentation to cope this kind of resistance.

Like # people like this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2017

I don't know if it would help, but the Deutsche Bahn was satisified with our security and protections.

You can read more about DB using Trello.

Tyler Bradford October 18, 2017

Higher-Ed WebOps Admin here; I'd like a server version as well. 

Like Victoria McGloin likes this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2017

@Tyler Bradford and @Sandor Krisztian Andre can you elaborate on why you'd need a server version? (US Government, EU company that won't put data on US servers, etc) . If it's a company policy issue that's more out of preference, does your company use ANY other cloud products? 

Like Сергей likes this
Greg Elofson April 26, 2018

For banking...regulatory env makes a server version required. Whitelisting URLs is a non-starter. (*and we're talking 100k jira users in our company alone)

Like Shubham Kahal likes this
Michael Skurka June 14, 2018

We would also need a server version.

My company is regulated by NERC CIP (energy industry) and putting certain information in the cloud without following CIP Standards (technical requirements which essentially federal law) is a violation and subject to regulatory actions and fines. The server(s) storing the information becomes a repository of the information and is(are) subject to these standards. As written, the standards make it extremely difficult to store information in the cloud. Minimally, we would need a satisfactory SOC 2 Type II audit report, confirmation that our information is encrypted in transit *and* at rest and that we hold the only key to that encrypted data, and that no unauthorized persons can access the data. Privacy controls are not enough. Authorized persons must undergo a satisfactory background check as well as take specific training for NERC CIP information handling. 

An on-premise server version of Trello would be ideal to satisfy the NERC CIP standards.

Like # people like this
Chadd Bennett August 22, 2018

@Michael Pryor, it seems like moving to cloud would introduce a whole host of other issues for an enterprise. 

Besides the time cost of migrations, Atlassian's own pros-and-cons-of-cloud-vs-server page lays out a few good reasons, including:

• Add-ins: 1000 vs. 3000 
  • User Count - Currently, user count on Atlassian Cloud is limited to 2,000 users.
  • (No) Custom domain name(s) -  Choose wisely, because your cloud domain name cannot be changed after your cloud site is created.
  • Themes - On Atlassian Cloud, Confluence uses a custom theme, which cannot be modified or updated using custom HTML (not supported). 

Additionally, non-profit and academic institutions users would lose their (generous) discount. 

I really love both products, and would love to integrate Trello further into my Atlassian workflow!

Like # people like this
Hung Nguyen October 24, 2018

We are also interested in the server version. We can not user cloud-based version

Like Сергей likes this
1 vote
kerensho April 18, 2019

my company works in an internal network which is completely disconnected from any other network, a server version for Trello will help us a lot

0 votes
steve.edwards April 24, 2020

Hey Atlassian - love Trello!!

It's now 2020 and, whilst global Regulators in Financial Services are continually evolving their thinking with cloud, any cloud service provider must either prove their compliance with relevant regulatory circulars and provide the necessary controls to prevent e.g. downloading of applications (Data leakage issues), or provide an on-premise solution or they simply won't be compliant.

The challenge is that, working for a global Financial Services firm, Icannot appease just one or two regulators but must effectively appease all regulators in all jurisdictions in which we operate regardless of where the product is used in practice. Layer on strict controls of some regulators about the geography in which data is hosted and you get an idea of the problems we're facing.

I do understand if not providing a server version is a commercial decision to push people towards on-site JIRA as an Enterprise solution but if this isn't the case, then this must surely be worthy of consideration?

It would be great to get a comment from you on whether this is even on your roadmap or not.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
April 24, 2020

Hi Steve!

Trello Server Version is not on our roadmap.

However, we are Soc 2 & Soc 3 certified as well as ISO/IEC 27001 and ISO/IEC 27018 and we are working on Fedramp for this fall.

Like steve.edwards likes this
steve.edwards April 24, 2020

Many thanks @Michael Pryor 

If I had questions about securing Trello / addressing DLP concerns in an Enterprise setting, where would I best look for support. Here, or is there formal documentation available that I could request?

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
April 24, 2020

Does this help: https://trello.com/trust

0 votes
AndrewCorvesta April 11, 2020

+1

0 votes
Mirko Prezioso March 6, 2020

+1

0 votes
Belnet Logistics December 13, 2019

+1

Suggest an answer