Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello: How to add board title as description on all cards in that board?

Lindsay Watters July 14, 2019

Hi all, 

I want to bring the 'this week' tasks from all of my open boards into a  single 'to do list' board. So, I've added Butler to Trello and created a rule to copy a card to a 'to do list' board when I move it to my 'this week' list on any of the boards. That's fine. 

The problem is that the different boards are recurring 'projects' that I spin out from a few templates and the titles on the cards are therefore identical in some cases. So, I want to add the board title to the description field on each card in the board, so that when it is copied across to the new board, the board title is retained so I know which 'project' it relates to.

Any ideas for a one click solution to adding the board title as a description to each card in a board? (or another solution that would do the same thing)

TIA  

1 answer

1 vote
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2019

@Lindsay Watters you can get access to the name of the board on which the originating board resides with the {triggercardboardname} variable in Butler, but you might consider either adding that board name as a label to the copied card so that you can easily filter from your overview board to see all cards that originate from a given board. You could also link the 2 cards after copying, which means that when you open the copied card you can see the source card and on which board it's located.

Lindsay Watters July 15, 2019

@Iain Dooley Thanks very much. I've added the link card feature to the rule and it works great. If I wanted to automate the adding of a label with the board name to the copied card, can you tell me how I'd do that (and possibly automatic creation of a label with the board name if one doesn't already exist)? Is that possible?

Thanks again - you've saved me many hours of messing around either doing it manually, or trying to find a solution myself with very limited knowledge of how to use this. 

:) 

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2019

@Lindsay Watters 

You would simply have to set up labels in your target board with names of every single board of origin. (case-sensitive!)

Then, you set up the Butler rule and say "add label {triggercardboardname} to the card".

That should do the trick. - Am I right, @Iain Dooley?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2019

@Katrin Anger I don't think you need to set up them up in advance, if you add a label that doesn't exist it will automatically create it won't it? In my experience Butler was always case insensitive for things like labels and list names, has that changed in the power up? 

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2019

@Iain DooleyThat's right, if the label doesn't exist it will automatically be created.

Another thing: I think it's just a typo, but Butler is case sensitive, not insensitive :)

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2019

@Katrin Anger you're right! Label names are case sensitive now. Although list names are still case insensitive.

Interestingly, the power up interface seems to go out of it's way to try and get you to add an existing label, but if you pick an existing one you can edit the text so presumably that's where you can put in the triggercardboardname variable.

Like jhewgley likes this
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2019

@Iain Dooley 

Exactly, that's how you can add variables in the Power-Up interface.

Lakshmi Narayan August 28, 2020

Can someone explain this step-by-step?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events