Create
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Trello Checklist

Hi there 😊

I need two make Checklist with several lines, instead of now, where you only can type in one sentence, without line breaks.

Any ideas to do this?

Best from Jeppe

2 answers

0 votes
Hannah Morgan Community Leader Jan 23, 2022

Hi @Jeppe Klausen ! No, there is no way to add line breaks to check items - it's the same as a card title; the field is generally used to represent one item. What's the need for wanting multiple lines within a single check-item? Maybe there's another way to accomplish your goal.

Hi Hannah

Thank you very much for your reply. I am looking for another way, that is correct. Any ideas?

Hannah Morgan Community Leader Jan 24, 2022

@Jeppe Klausen I can propose alternatives, but they might not make sense without knowing what you're wanting to achieve. Are you able to elaborate a bit more as to why you're wanting multiple lines within a single check-item?

Hi Hannah 😊

I am using my trello for giving my developer different tasks for different clients. Here I am using checklists a lot, but many times missing the full need for giving a full brief. It would be nice to use multiple lines here, because it would make my work a whole lot easier, with a more detailed checklist. 
I normally write my brief in the description, but still I need more details in the checklist to make trello work even better for me. 

Hope you understand my wish with this more detailed description 😊

Best from Jeppe 

Hi @Hannah Morgan 

Looking forward for your proposes 😊

Hannah Morgan Community Leader Jan 27, 2022

Hi @Jeppe Klausen ! Sorry for the late response! Thanks so much for elaborating on your use case. It sounds like you need to have the ability to open a check-item and see more detail (e.g. description, comments, etc.). One way to achieve this is to use linked check items. You can create an automation that turns the necessary check items into linked cards, so that way when you click on the check item, it will take you to the link card ready for you to populate it with more information. There's a guide here that goes into more detail on how to set that up. 

The only downside is you may have a lot of "subtask cards" on your board depending on how many check items you're creating. One way to mitigate that is to have these "subtask cards" generate in a specific list. If you want to reduce clutter, you can minimize the list using this extension.

Hi @Hannah Morgan 

Thank you so much for taking time answering my question. Just checked it out, and by using subtasks does not fulfill my wish. It gives a lot of tasks on my workspace. 

Would like to add checklists within each card, with the possibility to write in multiple lines, so each point in the checklist will be detailed.

Hope you, or someone, knows a workaround for this 😊

Best from Jeppe

Hannah Morgan Community Leader Feb 02, 2022

Hi @Jeppe Klausen ! yeah, like I said, the downside with that workaround is you'll have extra cards on your board. However, you could "hide" them using the chrome extension I mentioned, or even send them to a separate board. AFAIK, there's no way to create line breaks in check-items, so your best bet would be to reach out to Trello directly and see if adding more info to check-items is on the roadmap! 

I think that the checklist items are a single line by design (Trello, please correct me if I'm wrong). 

If I understand what you're after correctly, I think you can make each task that you want as a checklist a separate card with a checklist in it.

For example if you had a task that had three lines in it that you want to group as one large task, make it a card with the three tasks as a checklist within the card.  When you look at the card on your screen, you'll see a checkbox with the number of tasks in the checklist that are complete and outstanding as in "0/3", "1/3" etc.

You'd then group all the cards in your list into one task list that would be a list of tasks with checklists for each.

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but that's I think how you'd get around the line break limitation.

I am not used to use cards, and making a new Checklist for each point would not be the workaround to use.

Not possible, somehow, to make Checklist with line breaks? 😊

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events