Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is for Trello. All of my boards are public as I am storing teacher resource materials on them

Mallory Perry July 13, 2019

All of my boards are public because I am storing teacher resource information on them. But when a Trello user searches for them - with the EXACT name of the Board, nothing comes up for them.  Why does this happen? how can I fix this?  If everyone has to be invited to a Board, then what is the point of a public board????  thank you.

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2019

@Mallory Perry public boards are searchable via Google, but they aren't searchable from within Trello. Trello's search feature searches cards on all boards a user has access to, and the board menu shows boards you're a member of.

What might be a better model for you than making boards public is to add them to a team, make them team viewable and then invite people to that team. That way they can view the boards in that team, but not edit them. You can choose whether or not to enable "self join" for team members, and whether or not to allow commenting.

0 votes
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2019

@Mallory PerryIt can take a while for a Trello board to appear on search engines. That's not Trello's fault, but due to the fact how often pages are being crawled.

Your options are now that you either find a way to "inform" search engines like Google that there is content to be crawled so that your public boards can be found.

Or, you wait patiently until your boards are being found and crawled.

Mallory Perry July 14, 2019

Thanks so much for your reply.  But why can't they be found within the App, in the search bar?  this is very frustrating.

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2019

That's right. The mobile app only searches in cards.

I am not sure whether this is by default or not. To find that out you could send off an email to support@trello.com and ask for such a feature to be added.

Mallory Perry July 14, 2019

Thanks!  I will try to do a search with one of my cards!

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2019

@Mallory Perry 

Jumping in again here.

Just came across a Chrome Extension that lets you search for boards in Trello. I have the feeling that this could be what you are looking for.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events