It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Hi!

We are trying to create a workflow in our Trello account for the Finance and Accounting Team for our payment approval process. 

It is a requirement to be able to search and retrieve specific "payment batch" and "vendor" payments. We were thinking of using Labels; we would add a label for every card processed and add the "Batch Number" and "Vendor" as labels so that we can easily find them in trello. 

Is this the best way to tag/label in order to search for these categories? AND is there any limit on the labels created from the cards directly or generally? 

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Yasmin

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Oct 30, 2018

@Yasmin Eyre In general I would advise against using labels for variable data. For example, using labels to store a batch number that changes each batch. Eventually you run into performance issues if you have thousands of labels on a board.

If you only have a handful of vendors, you could reasonably use labels to store the vendor name.

For the batch number you can use the Custom Fields power up, and then you can filter the board and type the batch number in and any cards with that text matching in a custom field will be displayed.

The only issue you will run into is that the filter conditions are "OR" rather than "AND", so for example if you filtered by vendor name label and then put a batch number into the text field it would show you all cards with that batch number OR all cards that had that vendor label, rather than showing only cards that contained both batch number AND vendor label specified.

However, you can set the custom fields power up to display fields on the front of the card, so you could for example filter by vendor, find what batch numbers were active for that vendor then filter by batch number.

Depending on how many active batches you had for a given vendor at a given time you might choose to have a board for each vendor and put all active batch numbers in there.

If your requirement doesn't extend to having to look up both vendor and batch number simultaneously then you're golden :)

Thanks for this! It helped a lot. 

I do have another question that is not related to my existing topic. I'll put it below but let me know if it is best that I start a new question. 

The F&A Team has a requirement that the software we go with to do this workflow needs to have the ability of being "backed up" and restored if there is a crash. 

I do see there is an ability to export. It seems there is no range on the export and everytime it is just a full export of everything to date. 

Let's say there is a crash in the Trello system; is there a way to re-upload the exported information?

Yasmin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,623 views 15 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you