Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing Copied Boards or Cards

Carey Roberts July 16, 2020

Hello all, 

I am working with a group of industry peers to create a template with some best practices that we can use to train our new coaches. In using the boards, we share it internally for us to collaborate and then can copy our own iteration.

The challenge I haven't been able to surmount lies with the cards in which links are shared. For example, we will be recording short tutorials to help train on certain tools utilized like Instagram or Facebook for social media. If the video we record on those mediums become obsolete or a better version is recorded, we would like to replace the link that would have been posted in the original board with the link to the new material. Since we are not one organization or company and many of the coaches that would create their own accounts and copy for their own progress, we haven't found an easy solution to getting the updated content to all parties across the disparate organizations.

What would you, the community, suggest as a means of dynamic updating links from copied/cloned boards or cards - meaning, we update the link on the original board and that update then automatically syncs/updates all boards copied from it?

1 answer

1 vote
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2020

Hi Carey,

Great question! Natively in Trello, once a board is copied, there's no longer any connection between the two boards, the original and the copy. That is to say that while you might be an admin on the original board, you might have nothing to do with the copied board, and there's no built-in connection between them.

I think I'd probably look at hosting the attachments behind a URL shortener, like bit.ly, or something like that. This way, you can attach a URL that you control and can update later on. Then, no matter what happens to the boards that get copied, you can always define where those links actually end up going!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events