Sharing with clients

Arjan Oskam September 15, 2017

Is there an option to send someone a link, so that they can edit and create items and comment on them. The only option I can find is that they also have to make an account. What I would like is to let clients send feedback and they can see what has been done and accept the solution or ask for change.

Is this possible to do?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2017

Hey Arjan,

If a board is private, or a part of a team, then a user would need to join Trello and the board in order to make comments or contributions.  

You can, however, make the board PUBLIC, and then go to settings>commenting permissions and change it to PUBLIC.  This way, anyone with a link will be able to at least comment on cards (but that's it.. no adding/editing cards, only commenting).  Keep in mind, that since the board is public, anyone with a link will be able to see the board, and the board may also show up in Google Search results.. so be cautious if you have personal or confidential data that you don't want in the hands of someone who shouldn't have it.

Arjan Oskam February 15, 2018

It's a shame that the functionality isn't there.

Abizar Vakharia April 10, 2019

@Matthew N can you @mention a non-member in the comment section of a card on a public board? 

If yes, does it simply send them an email notification?

1 vote
luisalvaradox August 20, 2018

I am literally asking Asana, Teamwork, Nutcache, Wrike and others the following because this is how we handle it right now:

Morning, I have a question I have tried to tackle in Jira, Asana, Teamwork, Trello and about 8 other. My workflow is the following:

We have a single project board, I repeat, it is a SINGLE project board where each card is a different client. The status of the cards is handled by the column they are in, meaning we have a column about work in progress, QA status, Client QA, Feedback and completed. So we simply move the card of the client to each column depending on their progress. The whole project for that client is handled internally on the single card about them with checklists of different levels (Critical Checklist, Stage 1 Checklist and other ideas)

What I am looking for is a way to share the card and ONLY the card to the client so he/she can see the process and progress and even add comments or new tasks to it without seeing the rest of the cards in the same project board. I need for the client to be able to interact with us through the card be it adding files, commenting, doing QA in real time and seeing the progress of the card in realtime.

Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2018

For Trello- no. There’s not an option to share only specific list or cards. Anyone with access to the board will be able to view all content on the board. You’d need to have separate boards for privacy- 

luisalvaradox August 20, 2018

Thank you Matthew. If it helps this would be a very good idea to add. In the mean time I would migrate from trello since this is super critical for us.

Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 20, 2018

Hi,

Jira has issue/card-level permissions so technically it is possible to achieve what you need.

Nevertheless, that would require creating/configuring issue permission for each client. If the set of your clients is more or less constant and not large then it might work. Otherwise, it will be painful as the configuration is done through the administration part of Jira which is not very friendly. 

You could also play with "dynamic" permissions (per reporter or assignee) if the customer can be assigned one of these roles.

When comes to the Checklist, my team created Issue Checklist app for Jira Cloud that could play the role of "sub-tasks" for each card.

I hope that helps. 

Cheers,
Jack

Jon Cleaver May 6, 2021

Hi @luisalvaradox 
Did you ever find a solution? I am searching for a tool to do the same thing. I have one project board where each card is a different client. I want to collaborate with the client through the card, encouraging them to comment, add files, and see the progress.

Cheers,

Jon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events