Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting value of newly-created Custom field on existing cards as well as on new cards going forward

jane f June 7, 2019
I have a trello board with many existing cards. I just started using the custom fields power up and created a new custom field, and noticed, after creating a few new cards and setting the custom field to a value on them, the new field remains absent on all pre-existing cards.

QUESTION #1
Is there a way to set all cards created in the future to a default value of X for this custom dropdown field? If so, since 95% of all cards should be X, I would only have to manually change to a different value on about 5% of cards. note: I was able to accomplish this using ButlerForTrello but am wondering if I accomplish it natively to Trello.

QUESTION #2
Is there any way to set all EXISTING cards to utilize the newly-created custom field and set that field to X value? note: I was UNable to accomplish this using ButlerForTrello so very much hoping to accomplish natively to Trello.

I'm hoping for a quick solution to avoid manually opening each existing card, one at a time and putting a value on each card for the custom field.

Such a solution would also be useful in the future when creating another custom field.

Please advise and TYVM

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2019

@jane f 

Hi Jane, I would use the Butler Power-Up to populate custom fields with a default value.

If you have at least a Gold account with Trello, you are able to use the custom fields feature in the Butler Power-Up and set values once the cards are created.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events