It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Setting value of newly-created Custom field on existing cards as well as on new cards going forward

I have a trello board with many existing cards. I just started using the custom fields power up and created a new custom field, and noticed, after creating a few new cards and setting the custom field to a value on them, the new field remains absent on all pre-existing cards.

QUESTION #1
Is there a way to set all cards created in the future to a default value of X for this custom dropdown field? If so, since 95% of all cards should be X, I would only have to manually change to a different value on about 5% of cards. note: I was able to accomplish this using ButlerForTrello but am wondering if I accomplish it natively to Trello.

QUESTION #2
Is there any way to set all EXISTING cards to utilize the newly-created custom field and set that field to X value? note: I was UNable to accomplish this using ButlerForTrello so very much hoping to accomplish natively to Trello.

I'm hoping for a quick solution to avoid manually opening each existing card, one at a time and putting a value on each card for the custom field.

Such a solution would also be useful in the future when creating another custom field.

Please advise and TYVM

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Katrin Anger Community Leader Jun 09, 2019

@jane f 

Hi Jane, I would use the Butler Power-Up to populate custom fields with a default value.

If you have at least a Gold account with Trello, you are able to use the custom fields feature in the Butler Power-Up and set values once the cards are created.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,622 views 15 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you